• Register Today It's free!

Knocking Noise

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Knocking Noise in the engine driver side on startup. I don't hear the noise each time I start the car. If I turn off the car and start it again the noise will go away.

Any idea what will cause it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Knocking Noise in the engine driver side on startup. I don't hear the noise each time I start the car. If I turn off the car and start it again the noise will go away.

Any idea what will cause it?
Timing chain rattle is very common on the 4.0 SOHC

Will it stop after I turn off the engine and turn it back on? Shouldn't it be constant?

Will it stop after I turn off the engine and turn it back on? Shouldn't it be constant?
Not necessarily, there are timing chain tensioners and once they are primed with oil pressure they won't rattle again until the engine is left for a while and they bleed down, good news is they are cheap and easy to replace.

How would I check to confirm that's the case for the noise? What's the steps to replace them?

How would I check to confirm that's the case for the noise? What's the steps to replace them?
First thing I would do is remove your belt when the engine is cold and start it up to rule out pulley noise but don't let it run for more than 1 minute without the belt attached also I would recommend having someone else start it while you listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from there's a tensioner in the rear and one in the front personally I would order both and change them both since it is preventive maintenance as well as solving your noise only use ford OEM tensioners as other brands are not as strong and can cause guide failure I will post the part numbers below and specs

Passenger Side Tensioner 7U3Z-6K254-A
Driver Side Tensioner 7U3Z-6K254-B
Timing Chain Tensioner Seal XU2Z-6M252-AA
Torque Spec is 32 FT LB
You'll also need a 27MM deep well socket

Right now the noise is not all the time so it's hard to diagnose it. I thought it was an exhaust leak first time I heard it.

Will it damage the engine of I drive it until I have time to replace them?

Right now the noise is not all the time so it's hard to diagnose it. I thought it was an exhaust leak first time I heard it.

Will it damage the engine of I drive it until I have time to replace them?
No but I would replace them ASAP to prevent the chain guides from breaking it's safe to drive as long as the noise goes away after a few seconds

No you do not need to soak them however you do need to prine the engine when they are installed by disconnecting the crankshaft position sensor and using the starter to prime the engine until you have oil pressure then reconnect your sensor and go

Soak Prime them will not hurt anything though so if you feel that you want to you can

Disconnecting the sensor will prevent the engine from starting? How long I need to run the starter?
Until you see oil pressure on the gauge

Can't you just hold the pedal to the floor and turn the engine over until the oil pressure comes up? The engine won't start with the pedal to the floor. Seems like it would be easier.

Can't you just hold the pedal to the floor and turn the engine over until the oil pressure comes up? The engine won't start with the pedal to the floor. Seems like it would be easier.
no because in the event the engine starts it could be catastrophic

How come it is so often suggested that if you want your oil pressure up when you first start your engine to floor it? I've read on this forum a few times where it is claimed that the engine won't start with the pedal to the floor. It seems like there is some sort of electronic over ride to not allow the engine to start. I don't know where the throttle position sensor is on that engine but I wouldn't pulling an ignition fuse would be easier.

The pedal to the floor trick don't always work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pedal to the floor trick don't always work
Exactly i don't do it anymore after mine started and shot up to 4k on a cold start which could have been really bad luckily it was fine and then engine still runs

Back