Knocking Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking Noise

Thanks for that info that it doesn't always work. I will have to keep that in mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly i don't do it anymore after mine started and shot up to 4k on a cold start which could have been really bad luckily it was fine and then engine still runs
Same thing happened here

Same thing happened here
That's terrifying I was more worried about destroying a bearing over the chains, also question do you have the startup flare?

That's terrifying I was more worried about destroying a bearing over the chains, also question do you have the startup flare?
I adjusted my IAC so I have almost no flare

I adjusted my IAC so I have almost no flare
Nice see i tried that with mine and then it idles at 300 but my flare is 2200rpm on every start up

Nice see i tried that with mine and then it idles at 300 but my flare is 2200rpm on every start up
That's weird
After adjustment mine and only goes up to about 1200
^ link to adjustment post

That's weird
After adjustment mine and only goes up to about 1200
^ link to adjustment post
Alright thanks id like to limit it down so it dont keep revving like that

Do I need to lubricate the washer with engine Oil? The install diagram is calling for that but that's nothing I've seen before.

Do I need to lubricate the washer with engine Oil? The install diagram is calling for that but that's nothing I've seen before.
When I did mine I installed it dry

I replaced both tensioner with a new one from Ford. The rear tensioner still makes knocking noise on startup and if I turn off the car and turn it back on it stops. Why it's still making the knocking noise?

I replaced both tensioner with a new one from Ford. The rear tensioner still makes knocking noise on startup and if I turn off the car and turn it back on it stops. Why it's still making the knocking noise?
Did you unplug the coil pack or crank sensor and crank the engine until the oil pressure gauge showed pressure?

Did you unplug the coil pack or crank sensor and crank the engine until the oil pressure gauge showed pressure?
Yes, I unplug the crank sensor and crank the engine until I had oil pressure. When I did that, I didn't have knocking noise on startup.

I drove the car several times after that and each time I had knocking noise on startup. I also changed the oil but it didn't help. I'm using Valvoline HM full synthetic 5w-30.

I use the m1 301a filter and mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic high mileage in my opinion the m1 301a is the best filter other than the FL1-A from motorcraft

I'm using the M1 210a, that's what the website recommends for my car.

Any ideas what causing the noise and if there's anything I should do to resolve it?

I'm using the M1 210a, that's what the website recommends for my car.
That's correct for that year, is it a knock or rattle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back