Knocking Noise | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking Noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I'm sure. The noise comes from the back of the engine on the passenger side.
That's strange do you have a video of the sound?

That don't sound like bottom end noise to me it almost sounds like a pulley that is on its way out remove the belt and see if you hear the sound if you don't hear the sound then check and spin each pulley manually and youll easily find the bad one also does the noise get louder when revved?

The noise doesn't get louder when you rev the engine and eventually goes away after couple of minutes driving. The noise comes from the back of the engine and when you touch the valve cover you can feel it.

The noise doesn't get louder when you rev the engine and eventually goes away after couple of minutes driving. The noise comes from the back of the engine and when you touch the valve cover you can feel it.
Ok that's strange maybe another member will chime in and assist as well

I honestly don't know what would cause that strange noise it don't sound like chains or bottom end

I forgot to mentioned that it get louder when the engine rpm drops down to the idle rpm on startup. And if you rev it it sound like noise get quieter.

I forgot to mentioned that it get louder when the engine rpm drops down to the idle rpm on startup. And if you rev it it sound like noise get quieter.
That honestly sounds like a pulley or the crankshaft dampener has went bad there is a rubber balancer weight that goes bad and flops around if you reach down in the crank pulley and can move the inside of it then its bad but other than that im not sure what it could be

basically that inside piece comes apart im not sure if thats your noise though

I also noticed that I don't hear the noise when I start the car in the morning.

I agree. This noise is driving me crazy.
It seems very odd and i'm not sure what could be causing it at this point i have never heard anything like it before

Ok, that has a rhythm to it. Could do a river dance if it would loop.

2 things come to mind. Something on timing chain slapping valve cover,
Or
Moving flex plate? Cracked?

Internal, or, External noises can migrate , sound like another area. Do you feel tapping anywhere else? Reach in further to bell housing next time noise happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, that has a rhythm to it. Could do a river dance if it would loop.

2 things come to mind. Something on timing chain slapping valve cover,
Or
Moving flex plate? Cracked?

Internal, or, External noises can migrate , sound like another area. Do you feel tapping anywhere else? Reach in further to bell housing next time noise happens.
I'll check the bell housing next time I hear the noise.

Back