Kris Guilbeaux' New Krawler Project Best of Both World | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kris Guilbeaux' New Krawler Project Best of Both World

Ok, its time to announce that I am building a new Crawler, Code Name Red Bull 2. This has been in the building stages since Dec. 06. Due to slow funding and length of project, i chose not to post till I could get some major head way on the Project.

This idea came to me when thinking of ways to make the most ideal Explorer with comfort and function. 1st gens have there good points and Bad points as do the 2nd gens. So with knowing what Like and do not like I should just build an Explorer thats just what I want, which was a 2nd gen on a 1st gen frame... :eek:

I am Sure yall are all thinking this guy is Crazy...

I think your all right...

I start off with a 1992 Parts Truck

Picture_356.jpg

Dismantle the 92 and remove the body from the Frame

sucubus1.jpg

Dispose of the Body

sucubus2.jpg

sucubussquah.jpg

What I have left!!!

Picture_014.jpg

So, Now I have the 1st gen frame covered Now I need a 2nd gen... What Better place to look then at tow truck storage yard. Yup thats right I find a 98 Eddie Bauer with an SOHC V-6 Wrecked and abandoned at the yard with a Clean title!!!

Picture_0021.jpg

To be Continued...

PS. This project is quite far along. I can not post over a year of Progress in one post please stay tuned as I update you along the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW here are pictures from the work that I have done. mostly paint and body work. I will have to pull the motor and drive train back out of this truck swap the frames and then put the motor and transmission back in.

The custom leather seats are done and I will need to take a picture of that soon as well.

l_cc3d4ffdeda8d46fbf4f4f5bb5cf77b8.png

l_cc3d4ffdeda8d46fbf4f4f5bb5cf77b8.png

l_bbda0ec404b34c2f0abe55f59629007f.png

l_c25eddaccc1e80830e09f5fd7500ee6d.png

l_f931875acddf4503af8882201dfbf117.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how I missed this write up but subscribing. Always enjoy seeing what you are putting together Kris. Every since you were one of the first people on here converting your 2wd Mazda to 4wd. Crazy work, always done well, and inspirational to the majority of us to get to work on our vehicles. Nice paint work and looking forward to progress no matter how long it takes.

Not sure how I missed this write up but subscribing. Always enjoy seeing what you are putting together Kris. Every since you were one of the first people on here converting your 2wd Mazda to 4wd. Crazy work, always done well, and inspirational to the majority of us to get to work on our vehicles. Nice paint work and looking forward to progress no matter how long it takes.

What he said

Thanks guys :) Really it all boils down to me being crazy and having a sick obsession with Ford Explorers. Its strange I been tinkering with Explorers since I was 19 Wow!!!

It's good to hear it's still coming along. I know about those front frame and body differences. I had that conversation at the very first of my project. I pulled the 93 front grille and lights off to compare the body parts. My body man was patient with me but finally made me give up on using the 1st gen front end. It can be done but it would be tough. You were going the other way, the late body on the early frame. That would be different as well.

Here are pictures of my frame donor. 98 XLT SOHC

The day I got it.
l_e4163f9644df490ba7c8d721a414c586.png

What it looks like today.
l_2799256051ca42369015096e5f60076a.png

Back