• Register Today It's free!

Leaf spring pack upgrade

Mesozoic

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mercury Mountaineer
Waiting for my transmission upgrade to be completed at my friend's shop, I've got some time to address a few ancillary aspects of my '00 Mountaineer, which includes fuel pump upgrade as well as the rear leaves. My vehicle is mostly stock and I don't have any intentions of lifting it to accomodate larger tires. Currently running Toyo ATs in 30x9.5x15 and happy with them - they provide a good balance of highway manners as well as some impressive capability in the snow and light duty wheeling offroad.

The rear seems to sit lower than normal, I think. After reading many threads on this forum it seems like the rear leaves are prone to sagging after many years, so I'm assuming I've got that situation. My options seem to include the following, but not sure which would be most cost effective:
  • Pull the stock leaves and send them into a local spring shop for upgrade/repair.
  • Purchase a new set of Explorer/Mountaineer springs online.
  • Source a new set of F-150 leaves that fit the Explorer, with the 5 leaf pack.
Also not sure if I should be looking at replacing my shackles or not, particularly if I'm not planning to lift my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I did with my Ranger, since it was dragging ass was used the explorer leafs with the ranger ones laced in. I cut the eyes off the ranger main leaf and used it too.

A while back I thought it would be a good idea to put about 2000 lbs of deep cycle batteries in the back of my mounty. I got a good deal on them! lol. I ended up using most of the proceeds from reselling them to buy new f150 leaf springs to replace the ones that I practically inverted driving down the mountain with all that weight in the back.

I am not sure if I used the "right" f150 leaf springs, they were wider than my stock springs and I had to modify them to make them fit, but they are sure a lot better than what I had before. I also had to remove my lift shackle to get the ride height where I wanted it.

With the 5 pack from the f150 (at least the one I used) I think it will raise your truck up too much and be too stiff. Like I said, I am not sure I used the right ones so if you get the right ones it may be better. I removed one of the springs from the f150 pack on mine and its still super high and way stiffer than stock but the back of the truck likes being loaded down now such as towing which is mostly what I use it for now.

I would talk to a local spring shop, I don't remember the name of the one I used in PHX, but they can usually re arch them for a very fair price. I think it was Dunbar Spring or similar.

I've pulled the overload leaves on each side and added Monroe air shocks. II forget how thick they are, but there is about a 1/2" lift there to compensate for sagging. I am sure it rides a bit better without the overload spring which has no flex. It lost weight and gained the ability to adjust firmness. I run at 40psi and can inflate to 80psi for a heavy load.

rockauto has decent leaf springs for a good price just fyi we have been happy with them
Husky and daytons are nice springs

Take a look at your stock leaves where they leave the front mount.. you will see the negative arch on the main leaf…. The stock v8 springs are decent but they wear out in time. Once they de arch like this you have to have them rebuilt or replace them… anything else is a band aid

rockauto has decent leaf springs for a good price just fyi we have been happy with them
Husky and daytons are nice springs
If you want to keep it simple and stay at stock height, I second 410's reply. I've been running a set of Husky springs from RA for over five years now and have no complaints. I originally put them on my '97 to fix the rear sag (which they did) and later I moved them to my Sport when I ditched the mono leaves. I hauled a good bit of building materials in both vehicles (before the Sport was lowered) and the springs handled it well.

I'd only replace the shackles if they're really rusty. If you do take them off, I recommend taking the opportunity to put poly bushings in the frame. Yo can buy one kit for the bushings that goin the frame and the spring eyes.

One thing I didn't mention, I added oilite bronze bushings to my shackles and anywhere else I could when I did my leaf spring conversion. I don't think it was necessary but I had the idea and implemented it. It works well enough.

Show me the bronze bushings!!

I converted our Polaris Utvs to run all bronze bushings then a season later I took them out and back to urethane the bronze did not hold up there at all

I think leaf springs need poly or rubber bushings. They don't only pivot up and down, they also flex or twist. Bronze bushings would force the leaf springs to twist more than with flexible bushings, causing the leafs to wear faster. My Explorer is in thr dirt at least 50% of use. The little rubber bushings on my custom leaf pack are in great shape with about 20,000 miles on them.

My 25 year old skyjacker 6” leafs are flat and need new bushings lol

I replaced my 25 year old 6 skyjacker coils last year … springs are next

I lost the stiff overloads on my Broncs, Ranger, and now X. I don't overload my rigs. I believe you get a better ride with a bit more travel without the overloads. I like the addition of air shocks to be able to compensate for the lighter loads I do carry, but ran for years without air shocks.

I hit up the local shop in Tucson that put together my leaves for my '79 Bronco. They were able to order 1250 lb leaves that are made in Mexico, should be here tomorrow or Monday. I also got a Wulf Suspension adjustable shackle kit which I already have installed and am impressed at how nice she looks wearing them! They leveled the ride.

Back