• Register Today It's free!

Learning the 2001 Explorer Sport

TopoRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Okay so currently we live up in Montana. We finally got the Explorer registered on some permanent plates, one more thing I love about Montana. But anyways, my wife drove the Explorer to work this morning after we had gotten some snow last night. She tried to engage 4Hi, but no dash light, and she fells like it’s still in 2wd. I’m currently working 4 hours away at a Mine so I won’t be able to touch the truck until Friday at the earliest. Being that I’m totally new to this platform are there any pointers y’all would give me for troubleshooting this 4wd system?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I have limited time to search for threads pertaining to this issue so go easy on me. Haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My thoughts would be,
1st. Do 4wd lights illuminate with key on bulb check?

Have her shift to neutral with engine running, vehicle stopped. Then shift to 4wd low . Wait for light in dash indicating low range. Drive straight forward about 5-6 feet. Stop. Shift back to neutral, while still stopped select 2wd ( auto). Wait for light. Shift to reverse, back up 5 feet.

On wet or gravel, while driving forward select 4wd hi , see if that works.

There are a couple of fuses for 4wd- transfer case I believe.

Lastly, this is a far reach but it's possible the owner before you installed a " brown wire mod" modification. You might look this up on the forum, see if you find an extra switch in the truck when you get back home.

Okay so currently we live up in Montana. We finally got the Explorer registered on some permanent plates, one more thing I love about Montana. But anyways, my wife drove the Explorer to work this morning after we had gotten some snow last night. She tried to engage 4Hi, but no dash light, and she fells like it’s still in 2wd. I’m currently working 4 hours away at a Mine so I won’t be able to touch the truck until Friday at the earliest. Being that I’m totally new to this platform are there any pointers y’all would give me for troubleshooting this 4wd system?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I have limited time to search for threads pertaining to this issue so go easy on me. Haha.
You need too get a wiring diagram for your 2001 explorer. Search eBay for a electrical/vacuum manual.
Light not coming on. Tell you nothing happening with the shift motor.also
1. There is also a duel relay that controls the function of the shift motor.
You need too check the input and output of the dual relay.
2.You need too Check the shift motor connector.
A) check the ground at shift motor.
B) Uses a test light at the line side connector for the shift motor. See if you get inputs.
C) See if you can drive the shift motor , by over riding it.
Maybe you need a new Selector switch, shift motor, dual relay or a GEM module.

Check your fuses.

Screenshot_20240219-170710.png

Screenshot_20240219-182955.png

Hey y'all thank you so much for this!! So far I’ve gotten her to shift when she is in neutral then into 4Hi. So I’ll definitely save all this info and get to work on Friday. She is going to take my Ranger to work Friday so I’ll have plenty of time to troubleshoot. She hates driving my Ranger but it was her idea. Haha.

Here’s the Ranger…

IMG_8786.jpeg

I'd hate to have to drive that too. Such an awful punishment. Probably cruises down the highway a 70 without a bump to feel. Terrible, just terrible.

Hey y'all thank you so much for this!! So far I’ve gotten her to shift when she is in neutral then into 4Hi. So I’ll definitely save all this info and get to work on Friday. She is going to take my Ranger to work Friday so I’ll have plenty of time to troubleshoot. She hates driving my Ranger but it was her idea. Haha.

Here’s the Ranger…

View attachment 450039
Just a note: to shift into 4low it has too be and neutral and when you spent on the brake it will shift into 4 low.
Now you know all the components are working.
It could be a neutral switch or a GEM failing or bad connection.

1. There is also a duel relay that controls the function of the shift motor.
You need too check the input and output of the dual relay.
2.You need too Check the shift motor connector.
A) check the ground at shift motor.
B) Uses a test light at the line side connector for the shift motor. See if you get inputs.
C) See if you can drive the shift motor , by over riding it.
Maybe you need a new Selector switch, shift motor, dual relay or a GEM module.

The 01 sport the gem module is the 4x4 control module

There are no relays that control the shift
Motor. The full size trucks like superduty use two relays to control their ESOF
Motor… not our ranger based trucks

Since you are getting the low range shift now I suggest you keep trying, your shift motor is
Likely just lazy from lack of use. Keep trying the 4 hi shift and I bet it start working. You can tap the shift motor with a hammer to help it while trying the shift

Also disconnect the battery for a few minutes this resets the ESOF system

The 01 sport the gem module is the 4x4 control module

There are no relays that control the shift
Motor. The full size trucks like superduty use two relays to control their ESOF
Motor… not our ranger based trucks

Since you are getting the low range shift now I suggest you keep trying, your shift motor is
Likely just lazy from lack of use. Keep trying the 4 hi shift and I bet it start working. You can tap the shift motor with a hammer to help it while trying the shift

Also disconnect the battery for a few minutes this resets the ESOF system
Why do response to something , you know nothing about. Look at the diagram in response#5,
Its shows the two relays part of the GEM module.
Its call out.

Yea @410Fortune knows nothing about our trucks lmao

I think its safe to say he has forgotten more than most of us know

Hmmmm well I responded because

The full size trucks actually have a ccw relay and a cw relay, standard automotive relays

So I simply thought you were confusing the two systems.

You cannot open the gem module and expose two relays

Didn’t you know I respond to everything usually just to irritate you and pad my Post count!!!
Kidding of course.
If you don’t know my intentions are good then you are not paying attention.

Thanks for the call out! Can you show us how to test the dual / dueling relays?

I know nothing about these systems :)

Why do response to something , you know nothing about. Look at the diagram in response#5,
Its shows the two relays part of the GEM module.
Its call out.
The dotted line denotes its part of an assembly, as mentioned.

You’ve spread plenty of incorrect information to be trying to call someone else out, don’t you think?

The dotted line denotes its part of an assembly, as mentioned.

You’ve spread plenty of incorrect information to be trying to call someone else out, don’t you think?
Read what you are comment in it part of the gem

Okay so we have established that the gem has relays inside of it that are part of the ESOF system. The gem is basically a series of relays, the whole dang box is the body control module and the 4x4
Control module, internal relays and switches

It would be interesting to know how to test the input and output of the gem high to low and low to high relays.

Anyone?

I have never had to because the gem module is rarely the issue with the 4wd system it is almost always the shift motor

Back