LED headlight bulbs error message | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight bulbs error message

Hi Eddie just wondering which brand decoder canbus did you buy and from what website please help thank you
Mine was sent from the manufacturer that I purchased the LED bulbs from. The ones I link below should work for you and if they don't you can easily return them.

SIRIUSLED LED Canbus Decoder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Eddie just wondering which brand decoder canbus did you buy and from what website please help thank you

In my recent experience the cluster warnings are random. Even using the "decoders" or resistors sent by the bulb seller the warning still happens on occasion. I just push the button to make it disappear and move on. The lights themselves are not affected and are in fact working when this outage warning appears.
There doesn't seem to be a pattern or specific trigger for the warning to appear. Another user of this forum told me a while back that he has the same issue.

In my recent experience the cluster warnings are random. Even using the "decoders" or resistors sent by the bulb seller the warning still happens on occasion. I just push the button to make it disappear and move on. The lights themselves are not affected and are in fact working when this outage warning appears.
There doesn't seem to be a pattern or specific trigger for the warning to appear. Another user of this forum told me a while back that he has the same issue.
I find that the warning is triggered only while starting the engine when it is dark outside. When the lights cycle on while it is running, I don't recall ever getting a warning to check the headlights. My guess is that starting the engine causes a voltage and/or amp drop at the headlight connection that triggers the warning. My battery is getting near the end of its useful life and I notice that I get this warning more often than I did when it was new. I no longer use the resistors because I switched to bulbs that supposedly don't need them. OTOH, my wife's 2015 Edge has LED bulbs and she has never gotten a warning. The same goes for my 2007 Mustang GT. I think this is mostly a problem only with the 4th gen Explorers and Mountaineers.

I find that the warning is triggered only while starting the engine when it is dark outside. When the lights cycle on while it is running, I don't recall ever getting a warning to check the headlights. My guess is that starting the engine causes a voltage and/or amp drop at the headlight connection that triggers the warning. My battery is getting near the end of its useful life and I notice that I get this warning more often than I did when it was new. I no longer use the resistors because I switched to bulbs that supposedly don't need them. OTOH, my wife's 2015 Edge has LED bulbs and she has never gotten a warning. The same goes for my 2007 Mustang GT. I think this is mostly a problem only with the 4th gen Explorers and Mountaineers.

I have LED headlight bulbs in my 2007 Mustang GT also. Never once an issue. I've used LED headlight bulbs in several Ford Super Duty pickups with no issue either.
I don't think it has anything to do with the issue at hand, but just for the extra information I did use FORScan and turned on DRL on the Exlporer.

Screenshot_20240418_221611_Chrome.jpg

I've tried a few different ones and these are the ones that worked perfectly

My 2010 explorer does it but none of my other fords

Keep in mind that there may be another alternative solution "IF" this uses a similar LOM (light out module) to the 2nd gen explorer.

It uses a comparator IC and puts the current for the bulbs through a sense resistor, then the IC measures the voltage drop across that resistor. You can set the threshold for pass/fail of sufficient voltage drop (determined by how much current the bulbs are drawing) by changing 1 to 3, little 2 cent resistors on the circuit board. Pass/fail as-in, if it passes you don't get the bulb out message, but the LOM will still work to signal a bulb has failed if the bulb stops drawing its (new) lesser current amount that you set the LOM threshold to.

IF you don't even care whether the LOM (or subcircuit if integrated into another module) works to indicate a bulb failure, just that it not indicate there is a failure when your bulbs work fine, then another alternative may be to just cut the signal wire on the LOM circuit that tells the console display to indicate a bulb is out.

2nd gen uses an LM1946N and the datasheet even shows an equation to alter the resistor values but if 3rd gen explorers' LOM uses a different IC, the datasheet for that may also provide an example of how to mod it so that it doesn't trip on the lower current that LED bulbs use, without having to resort to the extra load of adding a power resistor in parallel like a more universal DIY resistor mod or those kits do.

I made a post relating to the 2nd gen LOM some time ago, think this is it:

I've tried a few different ones and these are the ones that worked perfectly

Looking at the photo in your post I think I bought the same fog light housings for my 2009. The lenses were completely gone away when I bought the Explorer.

Looking at the photo in your post I think I bought the same fog light housings for my 2009. The lenses were completely gone away when I bought the Explorer.
Does anyone know if the fog light housing for the 4th gen Explorers also fit the 4th gen Mountaineers?

Does anyone know if the fog light housing for the 4th gen Explorers also fit the 4th gen Mountaineers?

Here's the link: Fog Light Set Fit For 2006-2010 Ford Explorer 2007-10 Explorer Sport Trac Front | eBay
Fitment chart only shows Explorer and Sport Trac. But I usually question the accuracy of those charts on eBay and Amazon.
There are currently some Mountaineer sets listed on eBay but they're over 3x the price. Some of them are listed by Fairway Ford. I'd contact them and ask if Explorer units will work for you. I've bought several items from them both via eBay and directly. They've always been helpful and answered my questions.

No, they are not the same

Back