• Register Today It's free!

Hitch mounted spare tire carrier

Roadfury

Reaction score
City, State
Langley, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Check it out! Finally finished it, turned out great!!!

CIMG0414.jpg

CIMG0417.jpg

This is the bumper brace... was very wobbly without it. now its solid

CIMG0418.jpg

CIMG0427.jpg

CIMG0429.jpg

CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0426.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty slick. Looks good.

I notice what seems to be a lock pin for a hitch ball on there. Was that a ball mount bike rack carrier to begin with? Or something along those lines?

Any way to incorporate a set of folding legs to support the weight of the wheel when down to open rear door? Kinda like a golf bag does with support legs. LOL, yeah, I know sounds crazy...but hey, it just might work!

Will the clamp hold a Hi-lift jack as well as the shovel? Turn it sideways?

I like it. but now you can't tow. But yeah, very ingenious. Good job.

The cad coated pin? Nope that's from Princess Auto. The whole thing is built from scratch.

Not easily, I was trying to keep the weight down because it is supported by mainly the bumper.

Unfortunatly the clamp can't turn sideways. The way I designed the locking system for everything prevents it rotating. Plus the whole "keeping the weight down" thing doesn't work out if you put a heavy hi lift on the point with the most leverage. If you look at the lowered tire picture you can see I had an axe mounted next to the shovel but I don't feel comfortable ( I just decided) on leaving an axe on the exterior.

All i have to do is find some steel stock the will fit inside the bottom of the hitch and I'll be good :) or I throw the spare in the trailier and use the 2" reciever

hey, i know this thread is old but i plan on doing something similar in metal shop class and i was curious about how you built and mounted that lower support plate underneath, is it just bolted to the frame cross member there or something else? does the bumper flex at all with the tire on there? do you have any more pics of whats underneath by any chance?

Back