• Register Today It's free!

Left turn signal is not working.

larry mckissck

Reaction score
City, State
KANSAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 FORD EXPLOYER SPORT
Hi i found out on the internet my fix ,i got stopped and got a fixit ticket for my left turn signal not working ,i found out that if you got a tilt control on your vechicle if you put it in a certain position it shorts out the wire in the steering column and the left turn signal doesnt work ,i called ford to report it and all they wanted was for me to bring it in to be inspected at a charge ,this week i got a speed control system modification recall so i call and ask if their was a recall on it so i could get both fixed at the same time ,they said it doesnt have a recall at this time for the wire being shorted when you put your tilt in a certain position ,if your having a problem with it call and report it to your ford dealer so this problem can be put on a recall list to be fixed before your car or truck catches fire and burns up the wire harness,everyone should report it so this simple problem doesnt kill someone ,i found the fix on the internet but cant find it again ,but after putting my tilt in a diff position my light worked ,lets make ford fix this at their cost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make ford fix it before your vechile catches fire

welcome

i have a 98 merc & a 98 xlt both do the same thing. Is it a broken wire, or the turn signal switch?

The tabs that hold wiring into connector breaks, you can replace just the connector assy.

I had a similar issue on my `01 Sport.
After searching the incredible data-base on this wonderful forum, I gathered enough info to at least start checking some things.
Everything pointed to the connection at the multi-function switch on the steering column.
When the steering wheel was in the 'down' position, the issue would occur.
When the wheel was in the 'up' position, the L.T/S & brake light worked.
This suggested to me that either I had a broken wire or the terminal itself was losing conductivity.
The shroud surrounding the steering column, just below the instrument cluster, is is held together and in place by 3 phillips head screws.
Removal of those 3 screws allowed me to remove the top half of the shroud where the M/F switch is located.
The very top wire, a blue w/white stripe, had worked it's way out of the M/F switch due to it's female terminal end not being crimped tight enough.
The wire itself was fine. A quick re-crimp of the terminal end allowed the terminal to fit more securely on the pin in the switch.
Just to be safe, I gave the wire a little more slack and wire-tied it to the wire channel so it would retain it's slack.
Problem solved.

BTW, I'm not at all interested in being a 'wannabe' or even an 'Elite Explorer'.
I'm quite content with who I am thank you.

Ditto on an '01 sport. I did not have a short or any electricity leaving its protected path.

IF the wheel was lowered the wire would get pulled out of the back of the connector. Wheel up, problem went away. Opened steering column, pulled wire within the bundle, secured as best as I could, added a couple of zip strips and done. I would rather spend 35 minutes in my driveway than trolling the stealer-ship hearing about how I need O/F that was just done, tire rotations I don't need, brakes based on the odometer reading and all the other harassment that goes on there.

Back