License Plate Light Housing - moisture? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

License Plate Light Housing - moisture?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2018 XLT with the stock license plate light housings and noticed moisture always gets into them. I leak tested them and nothing comes out, so I am guessing the water is getting through the O-rings for the bulb connector which also twists into the housing (idiotic design). See the attached photo.

My 2017 Fusion uses the same housing, but its in an area that is a bit more tucked away (and a royal PITA to remove). Whereas my 2018 Explorer housings practically fall out once you push in that tab.

Has anyone else run into this problem with moisture? I checked the Lincoln MKZ to see what they are using, and they are actually using the LED version of what the Taurus uses. The lens/bulb housing is sealed, and the connector goes into the back of it. The Taurus just uses 2 screws for the lens, and there was a recall for fire issues due to moisture intrusion/shorting it out - The recalled housings have a hole with a goretex patch to allow moisture to vent out.

I lost one of the Sylvania LEDs (Zevo) due to moisture/water in the housing.

Light Housing s-l500.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe this is the first report on this particular issue.

Peter

I didn’t. But there might have been a gasket. It was a bit ago.

The O-ring gasket is part of the bulb holder that clips into the housing to seal it. If you used the aftermarket LED "housing" then it connects directly to the bulb holder and is left open.

For what it is worth, I recall my Fusion Sport license plate lamp housings getting water inside as well and they're the same part # as the 11-19 Explorer lamp housings.

I'm going to drill a hole and use a Gore Tex vent patch to see if that will help reduce the moisture.

How did you weatherproof the connection?
If you check one of the pictures in that link you will see that there is no need to waterproof the connectors as they appear to be soldered onto the back of the lamp assembly which is sealed and I'm guessing the connectors just plug into the current wiring setup.

Peter

If you check one of the pictures in that link you will see that there is no need to waterproof the connectors as they appear to be soldered onto the back of the lamp assembly which is sealed and I'm guessing the connectors just plug into the current wiring setup.

Peter
Peter, that is a BIG no. The 11-19 Explorer license plate housing itself relies on an O-ring to seal the bulb connector/harness with the housing. The aftermarket LED housing has a non-weatherproof bulb insert that hooks up to the stock holder, so the positive/negative is hanging out in the open to potentially short out. That seal from the original design relies on the O-ring and the stock housing, which is not used when you go to that aftermarket setup. I get that most people probably haven't had anything happen, but if you look at the area behind the chrome trim where the connector is located, it is wide open and exposed when you wash the the vehicle or drive in the winter with road salt spray. If you use a LED 194 replacement, you still get the O-ring seal.

Just thought that because they were similar to what MM07 used on his 2018 that they would work.

Peter

I got the Goretex patches and drilled the holes into the housings. I noticed that moisture forms inside one of the housings even if there wasn't a direct contact with water or rain. It was actually 20F and dry. But the patches should help vent the moisture.

I swapped out the stock O-rings for some EPDM rubber -112 O-rings. These seemed to fit better than my -111 Viton O-rings that I had on hand. So far so good.

The Viton material is probably a poor choice here as it felt very stiff/hard due to the cold weather. The factory O-rings felt more like Buna-N or Nitrile, the cheap rubber that is soft like chewing gum and distorts easily with exposure to solvents (or exhaust fumes). I noticed that with the factory O-rings, the left (driver side) housing would build up moisture very rapidly. The Viton -111 reduced that amount of moisture. But the EPDM -112 rings were a tighter fit and seem to seal properly even after I hose that area after driving. I still drilled the housings and put Gore Tex patches over the holes, ala the recalled Taurus lamp housings (the original ones didn't have vents and would get water intrusion, possibly catch on fire hence the recall).

I swapped out the stock O-rings for some EPDM rubber -112 O-rings. These seemed to fit better than my -111 Viton O-rings that I had on hand. So far so good.

The Viton material is probably a poor choice here as it felt very stiff/hard due to the cold weather. The factory O-rings felt more like Buna-N or Nitrile, the cheap rubber that is soft like chewing gum and distorts easily with exposure to solvents (or exhaust fumes). I noticed that with the factory O-rings, the left (driver side) housing would build up moisture very rapidly. The Viton -111 reduced that amount of moisture. But the EPDM -112 rings were a tighter fit and seem to seal properly even after I hose that area after driving. I still drilled the housings and put Gore Tex patches over the holes, ala the recalled Taurus lamp housings (the original ones didn't have vents and would get water intrusion, possibly catch on fire hence the recall).

Spoke too soon.

I think the real source of the water is the weather tight seal that is used for the lamp holder/harness. That is the source of the leak. Water is seeping through the seal and into the bulb holder. I've swapped lamp housings around and it's not the housing that is leaking. I guess it leaks more on the driver side harness because I've lost 2 LEDs thus far. I've switched back to 194LL bulbs to see if they can help generate a bit more heat to burn off that moisture.

Back