Livin' On The Edge | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livin' On The Edge

So any year 5.0 explorer drive train will "bolt in". Problem is yours is a 2004 and it's the first year of can-bus. Is your pcm in the same location and does it look similar as a 2nd Gen explorer?

My ranger is a 2001 and was a 3.0 4x4 to start. I am running a 97.5/98 v8 explorer drive train with a 4406 transfer now.

Yes, the PCM looks to be in the same location as my 2000 Mountaineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have 2 options with wiring in a 5.0. Using a 96-97.5 pcm to avoid pats or using a 99-01 and add pats in. In the ranger it's stored in the pcm, in the explorer it's stored in a stand alone unit behind the air bag so the system has to be added.

I opted to use the late 97 pcm on a 98 drive train. I did have to get a 98 pump assembly to build my return fuel system. If you choose 99+ then you won't have to do a thing to the fuel pump.

Now with SCT you can get tunes to delete pats so it's always an option. Plenty of different ways to go. Now mind you this swap will never be able to pass smog or emissions because you are going backwards with the engine year. If you wanted to be able to pass emissions/smog in a strict state you will have to go with a 4.6 swap(good luck keeping a/c).

Well, Kansas doesn't even require a bumper, so year of engine swap will not be a problem.

Assume I have a complete 99+ PATS equipped donor truck, sounds like it would be easier just to swap over the steering column and dash?

Doner trucks are the way to go. I don't know if I would go through all the trouble to swap the dash wiring, it's not that much different. It's only 3 or 4 wires for pats. On the 2 v8 swaps I have done I keep some of the original engine harness and cut all the wires about 18" from the body to engine harness plug. Then compare diagrams and start splicing the v8 harness in. You will in all have to add about 16" of engine wiring harness to reach the body plug. Out of about 42 wires I only found about 12 that didn't match perfectly up in my 97.5 swap. I also did a 99 to 99 but it was pretty much plug and play.

There is also a g-force transducer on the explorer frame rail infront of the gas tank that will need to be swapped in to get your speedo to work correctly. This is a 98+ thing.

The 04 will offer up some real challenges electrically -- much of the dash won't know what to make of an earlier PCM and the earlier PCM won't be happy with the Evap system.

Best option will likely be to do some wading through the wiring diagrams for both modles and then swap in the Expo/doner's instrument cluster making what wiring changes are needed.

Being an Edge, the Ranger will have the same torsion bar front suspension as an Expo making the engine/trans/radiator drop ins. The Expo A/C will primary A/C hose will bolt in, but you'll keep the Ranger's smaller condensor to orifice tube hose unless you swap in an Expo evap coil (gives a bit more clearance for the 5.0 exhaust)

A 5.0 Ranger is a truck Ford darn well should have built. Yea, the OHC 4.0 has the same basic power as the 5.0, but with a lot of maintenance baggage the SBF lacks.

I'll second using a pre-PATS PCM, it eases the wiring and will come with a transmission driven VSS that solves a ton of speed signal issues the later Expo into Ranger swaps experiance.

Back