Looking forward to test driving the new Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking forward to test driving the new Explorer

??????? Not sure where that came from considering I was responding to a different poster...but, OK.

I was just chiming in on your acceleration comment, I quoted too much from your original post, fixed now ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a highlander, a bit too small. The pilot does not have any eye appeal, the Kia has better eye appeal, the EX was attractive. Edge on steriods.
Nice test drive. IMO hood too tall and doors too bulky. Exiting front seat after I purposely adjust it for comfort, I kept hitting my right knee on the steering adjustment knob and then crowding my left shoulder on the pillar. not a real easy truck to exit.
I really like the EX, but dealers aren't dealing my my area. Maybe time to look at the Dodge to see what came of the Durango. I know they must want to sell vehicles.
T

I had a highlander, a bit too small. The pilot does not have any eye appeal, the Kia has better eye appeal, the EX was attractive. Edge on steriods.
Nice test drive. IMO hood too tall and doors too bulky. Exiting front seat after I purposely adjust it for comfort, I kept hitting my right knee on the steering adjustment knob and then crowding my left shoulder on the pillar. not a real easy truck to exit.
I really like the EX, but dealers aren't dealing my my area. Maybe time to look at the Dodge to see what came of the Durango. I know they must want to sell vehicles.
T

The new Durango is not bad looking... better than pre 2011

I have to admit though.. I was pissed at the new Explorer, but it is a nice vehicle up close. And you're right, its a beefed up Edge... it should be the new Edge and then keep the explorer true to its name.

2011_dodge_durango_images_main.jpg

Just FYI, the new Durango is a rebadged/restyled '11 Cherokee now...

Just FYI, the new Durango is a rebadged/restyled '11 Cherokee now...

Right you are! I had to look it up. I didnt know....
The Durango is a longer wheel base version of the Cherokee.
It too no longer has a frame, like the Cherokee (and new Explorer) its now unibody too.

Alt least Dodge suck with Rear wheel drive.

The Grand Cherokee has always been a unibody...

I have never really have been a Dodge guy, but I have owned a few company Dodge Caravans and they have well. My current 09 has 80,000 miles and absolutely not s problem. I sure would prefer a Ford, because I personally own old faithful, 98 Expedition, but we'll see.
The price of the Jeep Cher. is too high for not haveing a third seat, only option is the Durango.

The Grand Cherokee has always been a unibody...

I knew that... But the Durango was not unibody previous to this. Thats what I meant. Still a nice looking vehicle though. I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers.:D

To be honest I do like the new Durango almost as much as I like the new Ex. I just have no experience with anything Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler and most of their vehicles do not appeal to me (Viper not included) and I know I'm Dodge's target market with all those muscular/macho looking vehicles :D

The question is, how bad does Dodge want to flood the market with their new Durango.
They have two heavy duty contenders in Ford and Chevy. Does Dodge invest by heavily discounting the Durango to increase market share. There is a cost to everything.
Ford sure stepped up by offering the loyalty,albeit it didn't help me becasue it only applied to the Explorer and not the Expedition, but I think awhile back they offered it on more of the Ford vehicles. It will be interesting how it plays out.

I think the Durango is a nice vehicle, I'm just a little worried about Dodge's reliability. It hasn't been too great in the past. But this is a whole new vehicle so we'll see.

i've persnonally narrowed my choices between the explorer and durango. I have test drove the explorer a couple of times now and just test drove the durango yesterday. I have to say the durango felt more suv-like than the explorer. The explorer definitely seemed more car like to me in how i sit in the front seat. Also i noticed the doors seemed farther away than the durango's. for example, it seemed more cumbersome to sit your elbow on the window sill on the explorer compared to the durango. really not sure which i'm going to get yet.

At least Dodge stuck with Rear wheel drive.

And a V-8 option! And a real 4x4 drivetrain with a low-range transfer case! Go team REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE!!!!

On a lighter note, I just thought of something. Ford could conceivably offer a V-8 in the '11 Flexplorer if they really wanted to. Since the Flexplorer is based on the D4 platform that underpins the Flex, Taurus, MKS, and various Volvo's, including the XC-90, Ford could use the 4.4L 311hp/325ft-lb V-8 from the XC-90 in the Flexplorer for those who want a V-8 engine. This engine is a 60-degree, DOHC V-8 that is a reworked verison of the old 235hp 3.4L Yamaha V-8 from the Taurus SHO. It's even still built by Yamaha. The engine would still be mounted sideways, driving the wrong wheels, which precludes any possibility that I would ever be interested in the slightest, but there are others out there who apparently don't care which wheels propel the car, but would still like a V-8 engine option. I don't know why Ford hasn't considered this. I think it would be a "better idea".

And a V-8 option! And a real 4x4 drivetrain with a low-range transfer case! Go team REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE!!!!
I believe the original post stated; "Alt least Dodge suck with Rear wheel drive." Might be closer to the truth.;) If it wasn't for that massive bailout, they probably wouldn't be around today. Not sure what this obsession is with V8's. Manufacturers seem to becoming out with more and more engines that are smaller with close to or equal to the V8 in almost everyway except fuel consumption. Also, we are paying close to $5.20 a gallon here for regular gas so I don't think the majority of consumers are going to be running out looking for V8's. And as has been pointed out many times on this forum, manufacturers target the majority, if they hope to stay in business. The V8 can still be found in some trucks but even these could soon be on their way out, especially at Ford when the new EcoBoost engine becomes more popular. BTW, I can't recall when I last saw a Volvo XC 90 around these parts.
As a side note, I have to admit that Dodge has improved the looks of their latest lineup (inside and out). But, until they establish a better record of reliability, I wouldn't get one.

..I don't agree about the doors, though. I thought they felt solid and well made. And I thought the transmission was super smooth and the acceleration was pretty good for a V6. After all, it's faster than the previous gen with the V8.

I agree with you on this point. I thought the doors felt very solid and shut nicely. They didn't sound like tin cans when they shut, and it didn't take slamming them to shut them either.

I also thought the transmission was very smooth and it had decent acceleration. I do feel that it could use a tad more power, but then I'm used to my 5.4 F-150 and my Mach 1 so I've got a bias..:D

This might sound like a weird question, but has anyone tried the horn on the new Ex? The ones on the Highlander were awful. Sounded like a toy car. I replaced mine with the ones from a Camry. Much better. Just curious as I haven't had a chance to see one yet in person.

Yeah, because any one in their right mind would off road in the new Durango. :rolleyes:

Why in the world would they put a V8 in it that only has 20 more hp? Yes, it has quite a bit more torque, but still definitely not worth the increased weight, price, and loss of MPGs.

I love V8s. I love the sound, the torque, but the new Explorer really doesn't need one.

Does Dodge invest by heavily discounting the Durango to increase market share. There is a cost to everything.

Considering the new Grand Cherokee 8 months on the market has offered no incentives yet. I doubt the Durango will get any if they follow the same popularity. Ford on the other hand is already offering discounts on an Ex less than a month old......

Plus what would you like to hear more, LOL

Option 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmAKeVhOJ_E&feature=related

Option 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTE501YF-4

The Explorer actually sounds decent for a V6. Definitely not displeasing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This might sound like a weird question, but has anyone tried the horn on the new Ex? The ones on the Highlander were awful. Sounded like a toy car. I replaced mine with the ones from a Camry. Much better. Just curious as I haven't had a chance to see one yet in person.

:D

been there, done that when I replaced the horn in my now former Outback... most of Japanese cars' horns sound like toy car... anyway - would not be able to help you here since I have not even seen a new "X" yet... soon though, soon.

Back