Loss of power after longer drives. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of power after longer drives.

Originally posted by biggs85
You can buy a kit from auto store places which allows you to flush the entire engine with an ordinary hose. It comes with a T-pipe that you stick on one of your heater hoses (I can't remember which one). You hook your hose up to the T-pipe, take off the radiator cap, turn on the hose, and start your engine. The kit should have the complete instructions. That was just off the top of my head.
You can also take it to a shop and have it power flushed for around $75. Good luck

Thanks, that sounds easyer. $75 is a bit steep for a 10 min job though. But then again, ya dont have to worry about deposing of the chemicals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slick Rick

Ok here is a little update and some more confusion.

First there is a definite difference now. The engine doesnt to seem to be as sluggish. Which is good. But it's not 100%.

Now on the to confusion...When you say flush the intire system what exactly do you mean by this?

I just talked to my mech and he told me I did flush the intire cooling system! By draining the Radiator from the bottom valve it drained the system. Which is what I thought all along.

Your talking about an "engine flush" correct? An engine flush is when you drain the engine oil and add additive cleaner. Im thinking your telling me that there is two ways to flush the coolant. When there is only one way.

So your telling me to drain the oil and run a cleaner thru, correct?

Don

When you flush the radiator, very little coolant comes out of the engine compartment. You will get some, but it is probably the stuff that was in the hoses, and not necessarly from the engine block.

As for fuel economy, if you manitain the explorer ( oil changes, change spark plugs, flush fluids, replace filters, etc, ) the fuel economy shouldn't go down, unless you are driving any harder because of your mods( regardless to miles on that engine). Your driving habits are still the same since you were getting your best fuel economy right?

It might not be a bad idea to replace your thermastat. Since a coolant flush hasn't been performed on your X, gunk may be collecting on it. It may be stuck , or part way stuck. Then again, it's probably fine. Unless your temp gauge is not going up, I wouldn't worry about it. It's designed so that if it fails, it will fail in the open position.

Pay $75 for a mechanic to do a flush? I paid $45.99 to get mine done. If you are thinking about going this route, then shop around. Make sure that the mechanic has a machine to do it. The mechanic that did mine, had a Wynes machine, which also makes flushing machines to flush auto trannys, and powersteering systems.

If you want to do this your self, I would recomend reading about it in you Chiton manual( as opposed to me explaining it to you ). It's just easier that way, and if you need help, then the people on this board will give ya a hand.

Now are you going to replace the sending unit with a brand new one? Or are you going to try to clean the old one? I think it might be a better idea to get a new one. They aren't too expensive. However, cleaning it all together might fix the problem completely. Then again, it might not, or it might decide to start acting up again within a period of time. I am not too sure how it works in that sense. But if your going to get the entire system done (which you should) then you should get the sensor cleaned/replaced while your at it. If you get the flush done by a mechanic, then, bring a new sensor with you and tell them to replace it while they are flushing it.

Good luck.

Slick Rick, ok I gotcha.

I picked up the sensor earlyer today and tried to replace it. The harness that connects to it wouldnt come off. Im gonna have to remove some hoses to get in there a little better. Looks like the wire harness is clamped on the sensor post? Not as easy as it looks. Very tight and kinda hard to reach.

Nothing easy anymore....i'll post back with the results.

Thanks again for all your help.

When you are done replacing the sensor....

don't forget to reset the ECU. Just disconect the battery cables for a while.

Also make sure your X is cold, or that at least the coolant is cold. And one more thing. Make sure to drain the radiator to approximately four inches below the upper radiator hose. It will minimize coolant loss...or so my manual says.:D

Hmm, i went over my Chilton manual the other day. On installing a new Sensor It doesnt say anything about draining the coolent. Just says disconnect the battery and take radiator cap off when engine is cool.

Hmmmm..... Well I guess it can't be that bad right? I mean it's only coolant right? Meh, GO FOR IT DON!!:D

Don, if the themostat has not been replaced to your knowledge, and the temp doesn't get close to the middle of the guage, then I'd replace it while you're in there changing the sending unit.... My '99 with 100k has already been thru 1 thermostat. Stuck open at ~ the 75K mark. Open T-stat will cause the engine to run rich (in open loop), increasing gas consumption and fouling O2's and other sensors....

Ok thanks, I wish I would have done that before I changed the fluid. I believe the fluid has to be drained when checking or changing the T-stat.

when you replace the thermostat only a little bit of coolant will spill out, whatever is in the engine behind the thermostat (maybe 1/4 gallon) just be prepared to catch it.........

Ha Ha, man I feel like a jerk.

I should have listened to ya!! When I took the sensor off, the coolant poured out. It wasnt much, but enough to piss me off. If I would have known that was going to happen I would have changed the T-stat at the same time. Oh well, didnt have much time to play around.

Anyway, I re-read the Chilton Manual three times over. Nothing was mentioned about draining the coolant...they did however say to drain the coolant when removing the T-stat.

so....

What's the update cheif?

so....

What's the update cheif? Have you found any difference since changing you sensor? What else have you done?

Sorry, I meant to do an update the other day. But forgot.

Anyway, after changing the Sensor the engine seems run better. The temp guage is higher then it has been.(closer to the middle now) Believe it or not my mileage is back up to where it was last summer. Maybe even better? After I run a few tanks of gas and give the computer time to learn, I will know more.

Im gonna change the T-state soon. Maybe that will also help things a little.

Cool. Did you take a look @ the sensor/sending unit when you took it out (the old one)? What did it look like....compared to the new one?

Yeah, replacing your T-stat would be a good next move.

Lol, it looked dirty. I most likely could have cleaned it right up and put it back in. But the new one was only like $5 bucks.

I will change the T-state soon.

Back