• Register Today It's free!

Loud Whine?

SeaBlazer3163

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I was hoping someone could help me and my father figure out what the heck is wrong with my Explorer.

We both do all the work on all the cars we own, but my dad is more of a mechanic than me. We don't want to take the Explorer to Ford because last time we did bring it to them, it actually cost more in labor than the actual parts......

Here's the problem:

When going about 15MPH this whining noise starts to come from the mid to rear of the car. When you are on the highway or even a regular road going over 40 it is an extremely loud whine, and when you make gradual turns over also over 40mph a real loud deep groaning noise starts. When you sit in the driver seat or passenger seat the noise is loud, but not overbearing, but if you sit in the back seat it can really drive you up a wall. It sounds like it is coming directly from the middle of the car, but when we drove it with my father driving next to me, it sounded as if it was coming from the back wheels. The noise can also be felt when driving, especially when making turns, it feels as if something is rubbing too much and is transmitting major noise through the body. Heck, sometimes just to drowned out the noise you have to put the volume on the radio to obscene levels....

Does anyone know what the problem could be? My uncle who is a mechanic for Chevy (Disgusting!) says it could be the transfer case. As of now, the car is off the road, but I would like to get it back on so I can start pulling the boat around..(Member name is boat's name)....

Thanks in advance.....

Did your cat crawl up under the truck lately? ;) Anyways, if you think it sounds like it is coming from the middle I would guess it is the transmission. I know Fords can make strange hissing and whining sounds somtimes and that the trannies totally blow, but your problem has to involve some contact in moving parts/gears (tranny, transfer case, or axles). Stay away from Chevy mechanics too, they are jealous of our Ford stature and may sabotage your Ex! ;)

My guess would be hub bearings ;)

Check your Rear Differential! Is there any fluid left? Do you have a Limited Slip? May want to drain and replace Diff fluid and add the Friction Modifier if you have a L/S rear.

Back