• Register Today It's free!

Low oil pressure

ivldenis

Reaction score
City, State
Gyumri
Year, Model & Trim Level
FE5 2012 Limited
Good afternoon. Yesterday I changed the oil in the transfer case, the car was at an angle. Three hours later I started it and the low oil pressure error light came on. After a few seconds the error disappeared. In the cold morning it happened again. The oil was changed 5000 km ago. I change it regularly every 7000-8000 km. The mileage is exactly 100,000 km. Last time I filled it with Quaker State 5w20 oil. I haven't tried it before. The oil is clean. The machine runs quietly as before. Level is ok Could it be that there was an engine malfunction within such a period?

Low oil pressure light is for the engine. It could be several things; 1) oil pump is tired, not likely at that low of miles. 2) oil passages are starting to clog, again not likely. 3) Oil wight too low, what is recommended for you area and by the owner's manual. 4) Is the correct oil filter being used? has it been changed regularly as the oil? 5) No sure of your temperatures right now so that could be a factor on the oil weight.

Hook up an oil pressure gauge to verify you pump is working as designed and oil passages are not clogging up.

As @dvdswan said, get a mechanical gauge and hook it up to the engine to see actual pressure.
The oil pressure sensor/switch are known to go bad on occasion, causing incorrect report of pressure. Usually replacing the sensor/switch resolve the issue...assuming actual oil pressure is good.

I changed the pressure sensor yesterday. I left it at an angle for three hours. I started it, there was no error. It stood overnight, started it, and there was still no error. Thank you.

1.jpg

Back