• Register Today It's free!

Major Problems...

Ted O

Reaction score
City, State
Jesup, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Xlt
My explorer starts up fine, but runs extremely rough..

The coolant seems to be dark, and im using extreme amounts of oil, went though a quart in about 11 miles.

What do you think is wrong?

Im not sure, but I think the plugs are fouled as well? When I stop at a stop light, and I go to take off, it seams to like..chug along...or somthing like that, Now I did notice smoke when I push on the throttle coming from the left valve cover, If that was extremely lose and rusty, could that lose a quart of oil that quick?

Also, It starts up just fine, no smoke out of exhaust...

Any help would be greatly appricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to be your engine is on it's last legs. I may be wrong though - hopefully someone else will contribute.

-Drew

Head gasket or cracked head. If you keep driving it, it will seize up and you'll need a complete rebuild. As it is right now, the internals might still be ok...but not for long if you keep driving it like that. Coolant is bad for the crankcase and top end

Rhett's right... there's only two ways for them to mix. Through the head gasket or through a cracked head/block. Does your coolant look like mayo?

Nah, it looks really dark green, other than that...it looks fine, could it be the lower intake gasket along with the leaking valve covers? If I have to change the head gaskets, is there a guide on here anyone could point me to? I cant find anything

Welcome to this forum! Did you try to use a radiator pressure tester to see if you might have any coolant leaking into the engine? It will pressurize the cooling system. If you see that you can't maintain any pressure, then there is a leak somewhere. This tool is generally used for testing coolant hoses for leaks when it pressurizes the system.

...aand, if your coolant isn't looking mayo-like, then you probably aren't facing an oil/coolant mix problem.

FWIW, any *bad* leak where the oil is passing (read: 1qt in 11mi) is pretty worthwhile fixing. You should be able to determine visually (after cleaing up) whether it's coming from the valve cover or the head. Heck, with 1qt in 11mi, you can probably let it idle and look for where it's squirting out. ;) If you can't find a leak, do a compression test on the cylinders to determine if you've got a guilty piston ring, head gasket, or valve stem seal etc.

Best of luck with figuring this out! Let us know how it progresses!

Lower intake gasket can suck a pile of oil in short order. You sure it doesn't smoke? No big leaks? Does your anti freeze smell like exhaust gas?

check the oil cover for coolant

Back