Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a whole lotta Stuff i didnt understand :D but I was talking about short term.

I don't have a data logger yet. Just stuff I noticed in real time.

I'll definitely find some pipe to move the maf further away tonight if I can find anything.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'd say it's a little of everything. If there's exhaust leaks, the result will usually be a lean condition. If this is the case then I'd work with the exhaust leaks first. Make sure the 02's are close to the stock location.

Then again, I don't know what tune you're working with. Custom cams with a stock tune probably won't work too well.

If you ever decide to purchase the PRP from Henson, I'd be happy to share a thing or two with you but only if you buy from James. Any other tuner and you're on your own with that tuner... ;)

Yeah I'm tryin to swipe a cheap xcal on eBay.

Yeah I'm tryin to swipe a cheap xcal on eBay.

Just be careful with doing this. Sometimes used Xcals turn out to cost you just the same cuss their locked and you have to buy the rights from SCT to get it unlocked.

Just be careful with doing this. Sometimes used Xcals turn out to cost you just the same cuss their locked and you have to buy the rights from SCT to get it unlocked.

I don't think this is true anymore with the latest software. I have an XCal2 and all I had to do was hook it up to my laptop and click the unlock button in their GUI.

I don't think this is true anymore with the latest software. I have an XCal2 and all I had to do was hook it up to my laptop and click the unlock button in their GUI.

No, it's still the case. The last vehicle has to be returned to stock before you can put a tune on another one. If they didn't do it like that you could put tunes on a thousand different cars with one, and they wouldn't make any money.

No, it's still the case. The last vehicle has to be returned to stock before you can put a tune on another one. If they didn't do it like that you could put tunes on a thousand different cars with one, and they wouldn't make any money.

The unlock button in their application must be unlocking something else then because I had to click this button before it would let me put a tune on it. I just did this like a week ago.

Yep. After you return the car to stock you have to click an unlock button in the software. Dont know why.

Still 150$ for sct to unlock it without a return to stock.

Got the sensor installed and it'll shift between first and second if I play with it.

But I think it needs the speed signal from a 4wabs module before itl shift further.

speed signals come frolm the OSS and VSS, the OSS is inside your transmission you cant mess with that but the VSS should be hooked up and sending the correct signal....this can get tricky. I am using a 96 style VSS in my 93 t case and my 97.5 computer is not happy, of course 35" tires and 4.10 gears do not help......

if you shift it from 1-2 and then into D does it go into 3rd?

The vss(on the rear axle) is not hooked up directly to the computer. It first goes through the abs module which alters the signal form. Then to the computer. The speed sensor built into the speedo cable driv. Unit is not used by either of my computers. '96&'98 (edit: WRONG some 96's did use the tcase sensor.)

when cruising in drive, in what I guess is second, if I shift to 1 it will down shift. I don't think it has gone all the way to third yet.

96 still had a VSS in the tailhousing, no cable though there is a spot for one :)

Man I wonder if I can use a 96 PCM with my P motor........hmmmm

I am about to tackle my VSS issues......my truck does not shift properly, it will go into OD at 35 MPH if I let it HAHAHAHA Oh well it takes time to get all the bugs out

the question what did the VSS fgo from tailhousing to 8.8?

97? 97.5? 98?

I wish I knew... I have a 96 truck, VSS in the tailhousing of the AWD t case (now in my 4406)
I have a 98 truck, VSS in the 8.8

I wonder where it is on a 97.5 Mercury, thats where my BII drivetrain came from, I was forced to wire my truck up using wiring manuals for a 2000, so it took some engineering to find th edifferences, I need a 97.5 book HAHAHA

good luck I want to see you driving this thing already!!

The tailhousing vss may have been used for the cruise controll only. That's all mine is doing right now.

I'll double check my diagrams when I get home. I have a set for 96.

That reminds me.

With no foot on the pedal my scanner says the throttle position is 25% is that normal?

That reminds me.

With no foot on the pedal my scanner says the throttle position is 25% is that normal?

What is the tps idle voltage--key on engine off?

I will have to check.

What is it supposed to be again? .96?

One source says closed throttle = .901 +/- 3% acceptable

fordfuelinjection.com TPS section

Got to the junkyard today. Grabbed the abs module, and intake tube.

Should getem installed tonight.

Then if I'm lucky tomorrow I can find an open exhaust shop and get a real ypipe made.

Does anyone know what years for the five oh that they changed the maf around? I think there were maybe three different types.

The one I got from spas is black plastic with the two small elements and a small thermistor and doesn't match the '98 at the junkyard that is alluminum with a full bar going all the way from top to bottom in the airstrem, and I could see no thermistor.

Back