mismatched tire, torque steer, dealer may replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mismatched tire, torque steer, dealer may replace

Brian41

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
After my earlier post where I was having some engine problems with my newly purchased 2015 sport, I then noticed that under hard acceleration the vehicle would pull VERY hard to the right ( all tires at cold, were 35 psi). I understand torque steer and had it on front wheel drive sports cars back in the day, but this was far worse. So i parked the vehicle and looked at the tires. All the tires were the stock hankooks, except, to my surprise, the front passenger wheel was a Bridgestone Dueler Alenza plus. The Bridgestone was the correct size, (255/50r/20) but looked almost brand new. I can't believe I didn't catch this when looking to buy the vehicle.

I'm assuming whoever has the vehicle prior had to replace one wheel and was not smart enough to make sure it was the same make and model tire. (I already don't like mixing different tread depths, but some say the explorer sport can handle it?) Anyhow, I moved the Bridgestone to the rear of the vehicle and that eliminated 95 percent of of the torque steer to the right.

So I called the dealership and the salesman who sold me the car is going to see about getting another hankook tire, but the more I thought about it, I really should replace all four tires. The salesmen is now going to see if they can cut me a deal for 4 new tires.

My main question is what is a recommended tire by those of you on this forum. My understanding is the stock Hankook optimo are not that great. I want a tire that won't wonder, easily balance, and ranks decent for snow traction without having to be a dedicated snow tire. I don't know if any of the other hankook models are any good as I know that is sort of Ford house tire and they could probably get me a better deal, but I am picky about my tires and will pay more for a better tire if needed. The salesmen is going to get back to me in a couple days so i need to know what tire I want ASAP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature located at the upper right. It may take a bit of playing around to get used to getting the results you are looking for.
Having said that, I found the following thread that may be of some assistance; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/time-for-tires.389596/
There have been several post lately about the Michelin LTX being a very good tire.
Good luck.

Peter

Back