Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. gsueagle2424

gsueagle2424 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Sport
    I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. My 11 limited has almost 50k on the clock and I am in need to replace the Optimos soon. My questions is, what everyday mall crawler/long trip tires do you guys recommended? The OEM replacement hankook Optimo (spelling?) Tires seem to rum around $170ish on tire rack the Bridge stone Dueler Alenza are around $200 the pirelli scorpion around $240 and Michelin latitude around $300. are the Michelin tires really that much better? what have you guys used in what seems to ride well?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
    At about the 55,000 mile mark I replaced the Hankooks with the Alenzas.

Look into the Yokos.

4. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
    The Michelin Lattitude HPs that came stock (18 ") are wearing very, very well at 32,000 miles, mixed driving. I've also had the Bridgestones on another vehicle, and had good wear out of them.

Personally, I think the Michelins are worth the extra $$.

5. LIVIO

LIVIO New Member

City, State:
    York Region, Ontario
    17 Ford Explorer Platinum
    My top 3 choices for you from lowest price to highest price.

1. Firestone Destination ST

2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

3. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season

6. ieee_raider

ieee_raider Active Member

City, State:
    Paris, TX
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    I've heard nothing but great things about the scorpions, all from pickup drivers though. Not sure about ride quality, but wear is extremely good.

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I replaced my OEM Hankooks with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X the day I picked it up. Tire Rack has them at $198 each and according to that site they are rated 8.3 out of 10 based on 658 customer reviews.
    I don't know if Ford in the U.S. has the same slogan as those here where they say that they "won't be undersold on tires".
    I would narrow down my list to a few brands and then check out the customer reviews on them and then make a decision. I believe all those that you mentioned will certainly do the job.

Peter

8. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    cmh
    16 XLT
    2011 with 54,000 miles. Definitely time to replace tires. Michelin Latitudes were stock on my XLT. Michelin guaranteed 55k miles. I could have gotten another thousand out of them, but it wasn't worth the risk.

I spent a lot of time researching here and on every major manufacturer site to see what was out there, cost, and real world experiences. Opinions and information was all over the place.

Out of all replacements, the tires that seemed a possibility were the Yokohama Parada - but they have no tread warranty, and people seem to be replacing them at around 30,000 miles. That's just over half the tread life of the Michelin.

I liked the Michelins and have had good luck with the 4 prior sets I have runon other explorers, so I replaced them with the same tire. I bought them at Treadquarters, which is part of Monro/Mr. Tire/Auto Tire group. Out the door price was $965.

9. pingbling23

pingbling23 Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
    Let's Talk Tires

I haven't seen much talk about what tires people are switching to. I just ordered some Pirelli scorpion verde all season plus 255/50/20 for my wife's explorer. Cheapest I could find them was $812 shipped from a distributor on eBay, second cheapest was tire rack at $932 shipped. Also, Pirelli has a promo if you buy four tires you get a $60 prepaid card. I won't be having the new ones installed yet, as the stock hankooks have some life left at 34K miles. What's everyone else switching to and how do you like it?

10. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
    I've got these on the Touareg. They are more Summer than All Season. Snow performance is borderline terrible. You will be less than thrilled with wear. I'll be lucky to get 30K. They also get noisy after 15K.

The Michelin Lattitude HPs that came from the factory on the Explorer on the other hand are excellent. Going strong at 40K, excellent performance. I'll stick with these moving forward on both.

11. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

12. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I put the yokohamas on mine a little over a month ago. They are just as quiet and more aggressive tread pattern for the snow. Only issue is that they are a directional tire so you can't swap left to right when you rotate like the OEMs. Not sure how that will fair at 40,000 miles.. hopefully won't have any chopping going on.

They perform excellent in the snow. I paid $870 installed for 4 with 4 wheel alignment.

13. pingbling23

interesting, ive been researching tires over the past couple of months and these have really good reviews overall. also, what i ordered is the new "plus" model that has made improvements over your tire. they have a 65k mile tread warrantly so i would hope to get over 30K. also, the tires that came on your vw are not neccessarily the exact same tire that you buy in the store when it comes time to replace. fingers crossed that my wife is happy with them.

14. SandraP

SandraP New Member

City, State:
    Evergreen, CO
    2013 Explorer Sport
    Need new all-season tires for 2013 Explorer Sport w/3" lift kit

I put a 3" lift kit on my '13 Explorer Sport before winter and put 265/50/20 Blizzak's on (I live in the mountains and the Sport was waaay too low for my taste). Now I need to order some tires for spring, to switch out from my snow tires. I've been looking at Bridgestone Dueler's and Goodyear Fortera's, but I'm open to suggestions. The Forterra's are half the price. But there are some really good and really bad reviews. Not sure what to think. I need something that will safely deal in some snow on the shoulder seasons, but I'm pretty good about switching to my Blizzaks early in the season when the real snow flies. I also want low road noise and better handling. Not sure if it's just the getting of bigger tires, or if the Blizzaks are the cause, but my road noise and handling sucks right now. Any recommendations? I typically don't like Hankooks, so I'll probably steer away from those. Thanks!

15. pingbling23

seems like you would need alot more sidewall with a 3 inch lift? do you have any pictures?

16. SandraP

SandraP New Member

City, State:
    Evergreen, CO
    2013 Explorer Sport
    We tried a larger sidewall, but they would have rubbed when turning. The 265/50/20's are as big as I can go, and seem the perfect size with the lift.

As for positing a picture, I have never figured out how to do that on this site. If you can instruct me, I'd be happy to post a photo.

17. SandraP

SandraP New Member

City, State:
    Evergreen, CO
    2013 Explorer Sport
    [​IMG]

Photo with 3" lift and 265/50/20 Blizzaks.

Last edited: March 13, 2014
  18. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
  19. SandraP

SandraP New Member

City, State:
    Evergreen, CO
    2013 Explorer Sport
    [​IMG]

I'll try again. . .

• Like Like x 1
  20. AZmom

AZmom Active Member

City, State:
    AZ
    2014 Sport
    Beautiful! Sweet ride.

21. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    How's that affecting the SPORT handling?

I ask because its specifically tuned with performance handling characteristics, specifically dropped 20MM as compared to the Limited,XLT, and base.