• Register Today It's free!

modulator valve issue

DV8

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Grove, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hello all, I joined this form in hopes i could get an answer to a problem i have.
The modulator valve on my 94 explorer, affectionately named dora by my daughter, was blowing tranny fluid into the engine and out the exhaust. I replaced the faulty unit with one from advance auto, which is an adjustable unit. without adjustments, it would make the 1-2 shift, downshift back to 1st, then back to 2nd. when it shifted into 3rd, it would pull for a few seconds, then just rev without pulling at all. Let off the gas for just a second, then it would pull fine. Overdrive pulls fine. cram the gas pedal to the floor at about 45, it downshifts, then the trans slips like crazy. I have adjusted the valve in small increments, and still have the same problem, which did not exist until I changed the faulty valve. any ideas? :exp:

to everyone that's looked at this, i've got it figured out. there's a little rod that goes into the modulator valve that has somehow disappeared. I had to order it from a dealership, and it has been classified as obsolete. only two dealers in my state had it, so I had it shipped in from the closest one. only cost me $1.67, the cheapest thing i've ever got from a dealer.

Back