MPG on new Explorer body style | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG on new Explorer body style

I get a consistent 13.5 in my Sport during day to day city driving. I just went on a road trip for about 3 hours on the highway and got 22 with the cruise set on 70. I couldn't be happier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hah whats with the "pizza" being added to everyones post? Its kinda working, i do want some pizza

Our '13 Sport has about 1900 miles on it and consistently averages about 13.5mpg on the trip calculator and when I do calculate myself (which I do all my vehicles this way on every tank) it consistently gets 12.5-13.0 mpg.

I feel fairly confident that it will bust 20mpg on the highway but I have no highway trips as of yet.

This is just another example of you can either have horsepower or gas mileage, but not both

Our '13 Sport has about 1900 miles on it and consistently averages about 13.5mpg on the trip calculator and when I do calculate myself (which I do all my vehicles this way on every tank) it consistently gets 12.5-13.0 mpg.

I feel fairly confident that it will bust 20mpg on the highway but I have no highway trips as of yet.

This is just another example of you can either have horsepower or gas mileage, but not both

I went from Pittsburgh to Columbus last week in my sport. I had 87 octane in it on the way out and got 21 MPG. I filled it with 93 octane in Columbus and got 22 MPG on the way back.

I am more than pleased with the gas mileage. I am getting the same mileage as a v6 Jeep Grand Cherokee but am 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than the Hemi Jeep. I got 11.5mpg in the Jeep Hemi I had. :)

AVG 20mpg. Last hwy trip I averaged 24, with passengers so more than pleased. Better than the KIA advertised 29mpg. I just traded my 2011 KIA in and with passengers at 70mph on the hwy it only got 23mpg on the hwy with passengers at 70mph. SO I am more than happy with the Explorer. City......yeah its gets the 17 no problem.

Just had another round trip to my home town in Missouri... About 800 miles total. On the way there I averaged about 21 mpg going 70 in Illinois and 75 in Missouri. On the way back I filled up before getting on the road and averaged strong upper 21's through Missouri at 75 mph then filled up again just inside Illinois and averaged 22.6 the rest of the way.

Just completed a 3K trip and average just over 19 mpg from Phoenix to St Louis with rain and wind (70 to 75 mph average speed). On the return we average just under 20 mpg with no major weather. Note that this is all fairly flat terrain. I am disappointed.

at that speed - curious at what rpm were you running ? is it possible it was getting into the boost ?

did you have lot's of luggage or people ?

just curious as the wife gets 19 to 20 on her daily commute in dfw traffic...

BUT that is with the on board calculator and we've not verified it since we don't care about mpg - after all on my run tomorrow will probably get 8-9 mpg in my 350 towing a 15k 5th wheel :)

bad guess mileage for a car, but great for a house :)

Ya, I have not verfied the mileage cacluator either. There was only two of us plus the dog and our luggage, so not a lot. But there is some winds accross Texas. The RPMs were in the low 2Ks unless a shift down than increased between 3K to 3.5K. Cruise was on most of the time.

Weight.

A '13 ZO6 has 505hp and gets a combined 25mpg.

Weight.

A '13 ZO6 has 505hp and gets a combined 25mpg.

It's more like the mod'ing triangle.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick the two you want

HP, Fuel Economy, Size (aka weight) - everything has limits

2011 Explorer MPG

I have about 46K miles on my 2011 Explorer and since new I'm averaging 20.8 mpg. On a 400 mile run from Columbus Ohio to Harrisburg Pa I got 26.2 mpg. I regularly drive from Long Island, NY to Boothbay Harbor Maine and usually get 24-25 mpg for that 400 mile trip.
I'm happy with the gas mileage, now if Ford could only get the navigation system right...

What speeds are getting these mpg's at it's great at 50 mph but what about highway speeds ie 70,75,80

I have 3000 kilometres on my new Sport 60% city driving, average MPG for the last 2000 kilometres is 18.4 mpg (us gallon)
I'm very happy.:D using 91 octane fuel.

Brian

2014 2013 Explorer New Owners - mpg fuel economy Thread

I didnt find a thread discussing MPG travails for owners on the new Ford Explorer so thought I should start one.

When i bought the vehicle, it had 38miles on it, the salesman filled it up and handed the keys to me. On day 2, I was shocked to see I was getting only 13mpg. So I started becoming very conscious about going easy on the accelerator pedal and avoiding sudden brakes or accelerations, the mpg has slowly improved and at 180miles, showing 14mpg. I was told by the dealership that this was to be expected during the breakin period of up to 5000miles. After which I should see fuel economy closer to 17-24.

If you have the new Explorer (either 2013 or 2014) please let us know your mpg experience by posting here.

conservative driving 13 city/17hwy.................. the big Ford Ecoboost lie IMO

16 city 20 highway 3000 miles

Way below the Ford/EPA estimates !!! Terrible ! The $1000.00 option 2.oL Ecoboost is a joke on MPG ratings....Ford has a great rip off going with this combo....

I didnt find a thread discussing MPG travails for owners on the new Ford Explorer so thought I should start one.

When i bought the vehicle, it had 38miles on it, the salesman filled it up and handed the keys to me. On day 2, I was shocked to see I was getting only 13mpg. So I started becoming very conscious about going easy on the accelerator pedal and avoiding sudden brakes or accelerations, the mpg has slowly improved and at 180miles, showing 14mpg. I was told by the dealership that this was to be expected during the breakin period of up to 5000miles. After which I should see fuel economy closer to 17-24.

If you have the new Explorer (either 2013 or 2014) please let us know your mpg experience by posting here.
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have been a little disappointed in my milage so far. My 2007 4.7V8 got better mileage than my 3.5L V6.
I have been tracking my last 4 fill ups and the car computer is stating from .17 to 1.13 MPG higher than when calculated by hand.

When i fill up I try to always let it shut off, then squeeze the handle one time more until it clicks off. If you try to go two times, it always comes out the overflow vent.

Seems like it needs just one more gear. When I am driving in the hilly mountain roads going around 50mph, I will get 20-21.
But get out on the interstate and its 18-19 when cruising at 75mph. My guess is the RPMs are averaging around 2300rpm at 75mph and the hilly roads at 50 are usually under 2000rpm.

It is not horrible MPG, I just figured they did away with the V8 to gain fuel economy, but I guess not. It just wouldn't fit in the new frame. The new Ex is just a little too heavy for a v6 to be economical.

Back