haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
My $47 KKM - pictures

conical.jpg

I get the PowerStack filter from IntensePerformance.com ($38)

A22256_3.jpg

I get this from Home Depot for $8.67
> Plumbing > Pipe Fittings > Plastic > Grate
6x6 Grate
SKU: #052063606408

The plastic grate has two opening pvc adapters so I had to cut the bigger one (3.5") to keep the 3":
DSC00076.JPG

Even though the larger adapter (3.5") is cut, there is still another one that is 3" left on the grate.

DSC00077.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

This is what get taken out of the grate. The grill is screwed out, and the 3.5" adapter is cut out.

DSC00075.JPG

I then remove the 4 nuts from the stock airbox.

DSC00074.JPG

And connect the PowerStack Air Filter to the grate. You see two circle? That's the outer adapter and the inner adapter. The inner adapter is connected to the air filter with the clamp.

DSC00073.JPG

Here is the other angle shot.
DSC00079.JPG

Closer
DSC00080.JPG

And closer.

-----------------------------
I get my KKM for $38 + 8.67 = $46.67 dollars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's awesome!

Looks nice; how much time did it take to make the device?

Thanks.....

Thanks for all the great comments.
It took around 30 minutes. It's quite simple actually.

But you have to saw the outter circle carefully not to damage the inner adapter.

And on removing the stock air box nuts, I took a chisel and turn it the other way, and just knock the nuts out a bit. Then I use the pliers to ply them out. They come off easily.

What's up with those gloves man ? LMAO

im trying to do this same thing to my 92, i may be stupid, but i dont really understand how you did it, i already have the cone filter, just need the grate... i love it though.... notice any difference in performance?

i guess to understand i will have to have the part infront of me
lol, its late....forgive my stupidity

93exploder,
you don't know how many times i mess my hands up fixing cars. ;) well at leat i feel like a surgeon ;)

adam,
you need to get the grate.
then screw the grill out.
on the other side, there are a double pipe adapter going out.
imagine you're having a small water bottle fit inside a 2 liter coke bottle (double pipe). to get the water bottle, you need to cut the coke bottle out.

Your the MAN! That is one of the (no the best) Home-Grown ideas related to the intake filter...Whish I had thought of it!!!! :D

haktmal-How did you remove the grate around the 3" hole. I have seen this piece at Home Depot, but don't understand how to remove all of the grate. You drill out the center 3" hole, what about the rest of the grate? If you leave it there your adapter won't seal to your Mass Flow Sensor! Air would sneak by! Please help me, I have already purchased 2 adaptors that won't work and I already have the filter. Thanks

that's a great idea. thanks for posting pictures along with it. you should post a thread in the explorer projects forum.

bamacraig-
After I cut out the "outter" 3.5 inch, there is still left a 3 inch hole/pipe:
DSC00077.JPG

Then I slip the PowerStack onto the inner 3 inch hole/pipe:

DSC00074.JPG

Here is a close pic:
DSC00080.JPG

Then I use the clamp that comes with the PowerStack to secure the fitting.

Then I take out all 4 nuts from the stock airbox:
DSC00075.JPG

And drill 4 holes into the grate to connect the MAF:
DSC00079.JPG

I use the factory gasket to fit between the grate and the MAF

It's a 6 inch grate not 4 inch. I just went out and got one the 4 inch is to small.

Well it's in, I'll post pics after dinner.

My question is where the factory gasket meets the grate, won't air sneak by the gasket/grate? Other than that it should be pretty straight forward. I will be buying the grate tomorrow form Home Depot and doing this Wednesday night, I will up date after my trial and error of my installation. Haktmal this is a great write up, thanks for all the hard work.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Bama- You remove the grate, it's just screwed on with two screws.

bamacraig,
There won't be any trials and errors. When you get the Grate, you'll know exactly how to make it to fit the MAS.

The only thing you need to be careful is to drill four holes to the grate.

I have to place the MAS face down onto the Grate and use a pencil to mark the holes to be drilled out.

Then I use the gasket and place it between the grate and the MAS. Then tighten the nuts.

Let me know how you do? I'm glad to help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's funny. I used the exact same part from Home Depot for my homemaid Open-air K&N for my car. I've used the same filter on 3 totally different cars now.

Back