My BII cuts out when it gets warm. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My BII cuts out when it gets warm.

blonduno

Reaction score
City, State
Redding California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Ford Bronco 2
hey everyone I'm new here and well I have a very difficult question to ask anyone that can help me... I want to start taking my Bronco off road. but it keeps cutting out on my when the engine gets to warm, we changed the O2 sensor, the cats, the fuel cap and it is still doing it, does anyone have this problem with theirs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no nothing that I know of no lights are on or anything

There is a module on that is part of the timing, it's a little black box about the size of a deck of cards in the center of the motor tords the rear. I can't remember what it called right now, but you need to replace it. It's a common problem with this era of truck & car. It happend to me on my old B2.:rolleyes:

Get it fixed so you can take it up for a snow run with us. :cool:

TFI ignition module is what it's called....just remembered:thumbsup:

That module is also known as the ignition module. My 95 has it rerouted to the side fender wall to keep the heat of the engine away from it. It might be an idea for an ignition module mod if you want to get this wiring harness from a junkyard. You have to use a module for your year, and engine size. A different module might work, but will show a check engine light.

Check your fuel lines, make sure they are not to close to exhaust parts. You could be vapor locking.

Try watching the tach while cranking the engine. If it reads about 500 rpm, then the TFI is good. Next step is to check for spark at the ignition coil.
Good luck.

I agree

1 1987 Bronco II with a 2.9L V6 cuts out when it gets hot

this describes the TFI module failure perfectly

The TFI module (thick film integrated) ignition module is mounted to the back side of your distributor, this sucker controls all spark

It is a ***** to replace, usually you have to pull the distributor UNLESS you have the correct tool. there is a simple thumb wrench you can buy specially designed for getting the two bolts out that hold the TFI module to the distributor heat sink

Many 2.9L owners will actually carry a spare tfi module and the tool to change it in their truck... they fail quite often when they get old and get hot

However wefirst need to do some checking on your BII to ensure you are looking in the correct place.

Next time the truck does this, you need to listen for the fuel pumps to prime (yes you have two fuel pumps) try a seqarch for this, this topic was just covered yesterday!

Then once you can confirm your fuel pumps are turning on, then check for spark at the #1 plug.... if no spark and your fuel pumps are BOTH coming on then its 90% you need to replace the TFI module, you will need die-electric grease or lithium grease for the heat sink..

of course with the truck being a 97 other things come into play also, 1987 = 23 years ago, truck is likely 24 years old (sold in 86) so the wires under the hood coule use a good looking over, the battery cables and grounds likely need to be replaced

I agree

1 1987 Bronco II with a 2.9L V6 cuts out when it gets hot

this describes the TFI module failure perfectly

The TFI module (thick film integrated) ignition module is mounted to the back side of your distributor, this sucker controls all spark

It is a ***** to replace, usually you have to pull the distributor UNLESS you have the correct tool. there is a simple thumb wrench you can buy specially designed for getting the two bolts out that hold the TFI module to the distributor heat sink

Many 2.9L owners will actually carry a spare tfi module and the tool to change it in their truck... they fail quite often when they get old and get hot

However wefirst need to do some checking on your BII to ensure you are looking in the correct place.

Next time the truck does this, you need to listen for the fuel pumps to prime (yes you have two fuel pumps) try a seqarch for this, this topic was just covered yesterday!

Then once you can confirm your fuel pumps are turning on, then check for spark at the #1 plug.... if no spark and your fuel pumps are BOTH coming on then its 90% you need to replace the TFI module, you will need die-electric grease or lithium grease for the heat sink..

of course with the truck being a 97 other things come into play also, 1987 = 23 years ago, truck is likely 24 years old (sold in 86) so the wires under the hood coule use a good looking over, the battery cables and grounds likely need to be replaced

I AM HAVING THESE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS!!!!!!!! I have replaced: Ignition Coil, TFI Module (very easy to replace with the Ford Ignition Wrench) Distributor Cap and Rotor, Fuel Filter, I can hear the main fuel pump priming when key is turned, and a new pump was just put in the tank not long ago. The temp stays at a good level. I am completely lost on this one guys, i have spent soo much time over the last year getting this thing ready, and now it does this. I need help for sure. I bought a new MAP sensor today and PCV valve, the old PCV rattled when i shook it so i doubt it is that. Maybe the New MAP will work but at this point i have little faith lol.

Back