Do you get LPG fuel in the US like us in the UK? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you get LPG fuel in the US like us in the UK?

My Explorer running E85 .

Is this the same rating system used elsewhere in the world? It would be 85% ethanol? The car companies here started a campaign in Australia saying that warranties would be void if anything over E10 (10% ethanol) was used. At first they claimed that ANY ethanol would void warranty and then they backed off. My research indicates that ethanol in quantities over 20% should only be used after extensive (read expensive) modifications to the fuel system, because of it's corrosive nature.

Are there any conclusive trial results to look up, or is it only unsubstantiated annecdotal evidence? I found a lot of stuff on Bio diesel when I was running a diesel, but couldn't find the same published data on ethanol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Snowy points out, LPG is pretty common in Oz these days. I have 3 cars, and all 3 are dual fuel (petrol/LPG). The latest conversion was to the Explorer, using an Elko VSI kit - this is LPG Sequential Vapour Injection. Only done around 150km in it so far, but there is no noticeable power loss, and the truck prettymuch drives as it did on petrol. Cost $4400, less $2k rebate, so at $2400 net, it should pay for itself in around 18 months. Petrol price at the moment is 148.9 cpl; gas is 70.9 cpl.

I have seen E85 stations but there is no option to run our cars/trucks on Propane. Our city buses run on Natural Gas, if that counts. As for propane i would do int if it was offered, but its not so i cannot try it:p:

Hi gents, I'm in Australia and own a V8 4.6L 2003 Explorer Limited on duel fuel, petrol and LPG gas. Question I'm hoping an answer for is, when running on LPG the engine warning light is on but extinguishes once switched to petrol. Is this normal, as I guess the engine sensors are expecting petrol and the engine management reports a fault?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Ian

Back