My thoughts on a reason to stay away from FRAM oil filters... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My thoughts on a reason to stay away from FRAM oil filters...

i always though fram were good but i hear very bad results about them im moving to motorcraft and k and n filters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read you post and think you did all you could- well, cept did you prime the filter before it went up onto the car? I always fill any filter I use with oil as well as sealing the o ring- I am not sure if an air lock can occur sometimes..........but it does seem possible.
I dunno, its a thing I have done for years, I dont think any harm can come from it!

pre filling the filter is just plain smart. No dry running time. my grandfather taught me to that when i was just a we lad, helping him in his autoshop.

dude i went to college and we cut two new filters apart one was k&n the other a fram the k&n had lots of material nicely made and the fram had almost a quarter of the material and i could tear the material with two fingers. not to mention the casing was able to be ripped apart after the start hole drilled by hand

Edited to remove link to dead page.

That sucks Rick, I know I quit using the air filter and oil filter myself just because with their oil filter it would make my motor tick every start of the day then when I changed to Motorcraft it quit. And after seeing the quality of their air filter compared to the K&N I changed to the K&N brand it just seems like better quality. Well hope they do something for ya though probably less likely if they've d*cked ya around this long.

Reviving to post a few vids since the subject came up again in another thread...

intresting.......

I personally love Fram.....good and low cost....never any issue's......Motorcraft is good stuff but pricey...

Same here ive used them on my 383 stroker camaro and just installed one on the Explorer never had any problems. As long as they are built to OEM spec which by law they have to be then they should be ok.

If the Motorcraft filter is...

Nevermind.

Fram Xtended Guard

Fram Has Learned Alot it Seems. Ive heard no bad comments or anything with using the Newer Oil Filters.

Thanks for this topic. I think I'll be using motorcraft from now on. They seem to be the close to the best filters, and cost about 1/4 that of the higher end filters.

Amazing. Just seeing this thread for the first time. I have been using fram for a year now. After changing oil I always get under thecae at idle to make sure no leaks etc. I noticed that dam diesel like/marbling noise. I told my mechanic friend and he said it's a noise being made bc the car is old. I knew something was up. I don't pre fill my filter. Sounds like a great idea though as previous posts suggest. It's not so easy bc as u guys know the filter gets screwed in at 45 degrees and a bit of a PIA to maneuver into place. But I'll certainly try it the next time. 2 questions:

1) Since this thread was starTed many years ago. Has fram addresed issues? I'm thinking not bc I noticed how light the filter weighs vs the motor craft

2) I tend to screw the filter on a bit tighter than the suggested Number of turns on the box the filters come in. So my question is. Can damage/poor performance (even this issue of marbling/diesel sounds) be the result of screwing the filter on too tight. Ie not allowing for proper circulation? I am guilty of overkill bc I am scared that if I leave it "loose" oil could escape. In general. Can any bad come from screwing a filter on too tight?

Thanks

Also. When I go to the parts counter they always aren't sure which fram to give me. They usually go w the smaller one. The one that has the black grip on it. Question for u. Can u guys tell me the motor craft part number that I need for my 5.0 v8 so in the future I just get the right part. Thanks

Its a common problem. My truck has done it for the past 4 years when its cold. You can replace the sender which is on the drivers side by the timing cover and that should get rid of the delay.

Anyone have any added thots on this prior post about a sender? I dk what or where that is

Amazing. Just seeing this thread for the first time. I have been using fram for a year now. After changing oil I always get under thecae at idle to make sure no leaks etc. I noticed that dam diesel like/marbling noise. I told my mechanic friend and he said it's a noise being made bc the car is old. I knew something was up. I don't pre fill my filter. Sounds like a great idea though as previous posts suggest. It's not so easy bc as u guys know the filter gets screwed in at 45 degrees and a bit of a PIA to maneuver into place. But I'll certainly try it the next time. 2 questions:

1) Since this thread was starTed many years ago. Has fram addresed issues? I'm thinking not bc I noticed how light the filter weighs vs the motor craft

2) I tend to screw the filter on a bit tighter than the suggested Number of turns on the box the filters come in. So my question is. Can damage/poor performance (even this issue of marbling/diesel sounds) be the result of screwing the filter on too tight. Ie not allowing for proper circulation? I am guilty of overkill bc I am scared that if I leave it "loose" oil could escape. In general. Can any bad come from screwing a filter on too tight?

Thanks

I don't think fram is worried about a handful of consumers over their savings using all paper filters. I wish I would have read this post a few days ago when I changed my oil...

I doubt anything bad can come from screwing on a filter too tight other than it being really hard to get off. They have a pretty thick rubber gasket on them. I doubt any pressure applied by hand is too much, unless it is making your face turn all shades of red.

For the part number, just go to autozone.com and select your make and model. Then search for "oil filter", and select the oil filters on the parts side (usually the left side). Then scroll down to find the motorcraft one.

Every video review I've seen for motorcraft filters, they are all really good looking when compared to others. I just can't believe they are so cheap. Autozone says they are $3.99 where I'm at, and in stock for my model.

Hey thanks for reply...I dk if there is an Az near me. I know there's a pep boys. Prob the same thing. My whole life I've been goi g to mom and pop parts store. Been good friends

Re screwing in that makes sense. I actually start it w hand and finish it off w oil filter wrench. Gets v tight. I try to do the specified number of turns After the contact w the gasket is made but I tend to overkill...

5.0L V8 takes the FL-820S filter.

I just never understood the debate about these things. I mean, the argument a lot of people make for some of these filters is "I can get x.. for $2 or $3 vs. $4 or $5, etc...

Seriously- if you kill an engine, your truck is dead. If you can't scrape up an extra $1-2 for a filter that you might replace 2-3x a year, reevaluate your choices on other things you spend your money on. I've never seen the logic of using a crap filter to save a couple of bucks. I just don't get it, especially when it costs ~$75 to fill the tank anyhow.

Hey thanks for reply...I dk if there is an Az near me. I know there's a pep boys. Prob the same thing. My whole life I've been goi g to mom and pop parts store. Been good friends

Re screwing in that makes sense. I actually start it w hand and finish it off w oil filter wrench. Gets v tight. I try to do the specified number of turns After the contact w the gasket is made but I tend to overkill...

I wouldn't tighten it with the filter wrench, but maybe that's just me. Have you seen how thin the filter container is? You could be smashing the inside when you tighten it.

I just never understood the debate about these things. I mean, the argument a lot of people make for some of these filters is "I can get x.. for $2 or $3 vs. $4 or $5, etc...

Seriously- if you kill an engine, your truck is dead. If you can't scrape up an extra $1-2 for a filter that you might replace 2-3x a year, reevaluate your choices on other things you spend your money on. I've never seen the logic of using a crap filter to save a couple of bucks. I just don't get it, especially when it costs ~$75 to fill the tank anyhow.

I know what you mean. I just got a fram tough guard with 5 qt pennzoil high mileage 10w-40 it was on sale both for $15.99. The tough guard filter costs like $6.99, $2 more than the motorcraft. However the motorcraft looks 2x better...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work in a walmart quicklube. Yesterday i had to pull all 3614 filters because of a recall. We've had several frams come off vehicles that would rattle if shook. I run wix on my truck. As far as air filters, look at the inside of your intake tube. If its dirty then your filter isn't doing its job. Nuf said

Back