Nagging issues with my 2016 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nagging issues with my 2016 explorer

SouthernExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I bought the new-to-me 2016 explorer limited in November last year. Since I've gotten it, it's been in the shop 3 times for BLIS issues. First time was a sensor, second time it was the drivers-side mirror assembly, this time I don't know yet, it's still in the shop(on the screen, when you are close to an object the tone sounds but doesn't tell you where the object is in relation to your vehicle, the lights don't light up indicating where the object is).

It's been into the shop twice for transmission issues. The car sometimes refuses to shift into reverse, or when it does, it shifts hard. Other times it's normal. When it refuses to shift, I put the selector in "R" but nothing happens. I take my foot off the brake and it just sits there until tap the gas, then it hard-shifts into reverse. The first time in the shop they replaced some solenoids. It worked for about a day. It's been back to the shop and they CND'd the issues and basically said if they can't get it to do it while it's hooked to the computer, they can't do anything. So I'm in wait-for-it-to-break mode.

Now the drivers-side seat heater has stopped working.

So furious....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I wonder if the issues were why the original owner got rid of it. At least the warranty should take care of some or all of it although that doesn't lessen the inconvenience.
What is "they CND'd the issues" ?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I wonder if the issues were why the original owner got rid of it. At least the warranty should take care of some or all of it although that doesn't lessen the inconvenience.
What is "they CND'd the issues" ?
Peter
Maybe it means: Can Not Duplicate

Sorry to hear about these 2016 mechanical stories, they sure remind me of some my 2016's troubles that were CND'd.

Yes, warranty is taking care of it, right now it's just the inconvenience of it all. CND is Can Not Duplicate. Annoying thing is that I gave them video of it (Transmission) happening. Ford corporate doesn't care. If the diagnostic machine can't see it, it didn't happen.

Here's a laughable bit. So it turns out it's a "Canadian" car. What does that mean? I couldn't tell you but every time I'm at the dealership, they're quick to remind me that it's Canadian. I keep telling them, I don't care, I bought a Ford, not a Canadian Ford.

But I will tell you that carfax and all the other reporting agencies don't get information on car work done in Canada. The carfax was clean. But when they 'fixed' the transmission the first time, they printed out the list of warranty work done and something was replaced last year when it was in Canada.

I asked the dealership if they can pull a report on all the work done on the vehicle and they said they can request it but they have to know what dealership to request it from. So Canadian-Ford and US-Ford nospeakatogether or share data. Not even sure there's a national db for that.

....... CND is Can Not Duplicate. .......

Here's a laughable bit. So it turns out it's a "Canadian" car. What does that mean? I couldn't tell you but every time I'm at the dealership, they're quick to remind me that it's Canadian. I keep telling them, I don't care, I bought a Ford, not a Canadian Ford.
Thanks for the explanation. As the Canada/US issue, the Window Stickers of my last 2 vehicles (2014 & 2017) carry a notation that reads as follows;
"THIS VEH. NOT INTENDED FOR SALE OR REGISTRATION IN US"
Vehicles manufactured for the Canadian market have some differences compared for those built for the U.S. market. Some standard equipment is optional in U.S. Explorers and I'm guessing that the emission standards may differ. Oddly enough there was no such notation on the 'Stickers' for the 1999 and 2011 Ford vehicles. I'm guessing the notation likely applies to the initial sale/registration as my dealer wanted my 2014 MKT back 6 months early (leased) so they could take advantage of the market. They paid off the lease, bought it from Lincoln Canada and shipped it to the U.S.

Peter

ETA: Does anyone have a 2016 with package301a that can make a video of the car showing an object in close proximity (such as pulling in the garage) with the visual on the screen?

The dealership called today. They can't duplicate the seat heater not working. No words.

Now the fun part. Sir, your car doesn't come with the ability to 'see' where objects are in close proximity of your car. That's a sync 3 feature, not myfordtouch.

"Really?", I say, "then why was it working last week?".
"I don't know" is the response.

So I've send him an email explaining that my 2016 Explorer limited comes with equipment group 301a which has enhanced active park assist w/ parallel parking, park out assist, reverse perpendicular parking, and forward and side sensing systems.

I also send him a pic and video of a 2016 showing the screen showing the a normal working system.

We'll see how this goes...

unnamed.png

I bought my 2016 sport new, and have had relatively few issues.

- I had issues where my parking sensors would routinely fail. This issue sent the car to the shop 3 times. The first 2 times, they reinstalled a new wire harness. Upon leaving the dealer each time, the warnings came back on. Finally, they replaced all of the sensors in the front bumper, and it has been resolved.
- I've had the error (Cannot read smart card) for the nav come up a few random times. They keep telling me to make sure the card is inserted properly. I've never taken it out, or touched it, so I don't know why that happens.
- both of my 3rd row seats broke, and couldn't fold any longer. Both seats brackets were replaced under warranty.
- My battery leaked and corroded the positive terminal. Battery harness was replaced under warranty, battery was not.
- Now dealing with the airbag light, going in tomorrow.
- my stock tires were worn down at 21k miles, and have been replaced with Michelin Defenders. Louder ride, but much better in snow than the racing slicks it came with,

Every once in a while, I feel a slight hesitation when accelerating at lower speeds. I've taken it in, but have been told that they cannot replicate the issue. I can deal with that.

Outside of that, I love my explorer. I do love some of the new features on the 2018 (Sync 3, heated rear-seats).

Mark

The sensing systems in the 2016 (MFT) and 2017 (Sync 3) appear to be identical as far as I can see in looking at both Manuals. I'm thinking that the person who you spoke with obviously wasn't that familiar with the systems on all the vehicles. In a way I can understand that with all the different systems and they way the operate on different vehicles. I have found that even some salespeople aren't as familiar with a vehicle as the owner who takes interest in his/her vehicle and only has to concentrate on it and all its features. That said, I have found that there are members here who have owned their Explorer for a year or more and are not aware of all the features and how they work on their own vehicle.

Peter

So went and picked up my car. Dealer says I don't have 360 indication for my car. I quote: "This is what your vehicle has. It does not have the 360 degrees surround detection or side detection. If you can, please come by today, so that we may go over it with you. Thanks,"

I came home and decided to try a "master reset" of the sync system from the console. Lo and behold look what I have!

Dealers....:dunno:

20180111_161652.jpg

20180111_161729.jpg

Bring your Owner's Manual along and show them page 196.

Peter

I had them pull the window sticker which showed Option package 301a. Then showed them the brochure of the 2016 limited. Then showed them I had the blis plus (inflatable seat-belts). He was at a loss and couldn't understand why I didn't have surround....

I emailed them the pictures. Not holding my breath.

Any update?

Hmmm, sorry, I thought I 'finished' this thread. Yea, they decided I didn't have what the factory said I had. I drove the car home and the first thing I did was reset the Ford mytouch and that fixed it. I sent them pictures of it working and let them know that perhaps that should be a troubleshooting step. Doubt they did anything with the information.

So basically, the mytouch "lost contact" with the BLIS system so it didn't relay to the screen what the BLIS was seeing. The dealer only troubleshot the BLIS, not the user interface.

Not surprised...

Back