2nd gen roof racks into 1st gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen roof racks into 1st gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Fix
that's is what i have in the truck.
I guess i need the front bolted crossbar, and the 2nd "free position" crossbar.
Need i another item to have it stock?
there's a plastic end at the rear of the rails?
There's a guy in Argentina ( close home) that has a pair from a second gen a t a good price.
I don't know it will bolt, and slide without complications......

IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1910.jpg

Hi Fix
There's a guy in Argentina ( close home) that has a pair from a second gen a t a good price.

View attachment 435212 View attachment 435213
I want to say they are differently designed, could be wrong though. I know when it comes to a second gen, you can take the rails off, fill the holes and swap them for longer ones from something like an expedition, so that they extend across the whole roof. If ya got a junkyard nearby, can test fit 'em out there, usually what I do, if not I need to go out there at some point soon. If ya wanted to do the whole cross members and rails from a second gen, ya probably could, just not sure if the holes will line up, so ya may have to fill your current holes and drill new ones. But otherwise I don't believe the second gen cross members will fit in the first gen rails; as said, I could be wrong though, but I do believe you'll either have to modify those to fit them or just use second gen rails.

Hi Fix

View attachment 435212 View attachment 435213
in the 2g iirc both crossbars can slide so neither is permanently bolted. that said, they look largely similiar, as there was no significant change from 1-2g. iirc in the 2g theres a screw in front and maybe back and the rest is held by rivets. that said there are probably differences one would nto find without dropping the headliner and measuring etc

in the 2g iirc both crossbars can slide so neither is permanently bolted. that said, they look largely similiar, as there was no significant change from 1-2g. iirc in the 2g theres a screw in front and maybe back and the rest is held by rivets. that said there are probably differences one would nto find without dropping the headliner and measuring etc
They slide yeah, that's why many, myself included, will add more crossmembers, we can slide in extras if needed, so I had four. I would think they fit due to the minor differences from first to second gen, but I've thought that about a lot of things just to find they dont interchange.

Just throwing everything I have here. The first two are from when I added the second set of cross members onto my '99. The others are from earlier on when I planned to do the expedition rack swap, so that's it on the truck beside the explorer ones and on the ground. Food for thought if ya wanted longer ones, though not sure ya would need longer since ya have a sunroof. But that's everything I have from my rails on hand

20220104_095803.jpg 20220104_095749.jpg 20211214_125126.jpg 20211214_124522.jpg 20211214_123702.jpg 20211214_123652.jpg 20211214_123638.jpg

I haven't compared the 1st and 2nd gen Explorer roof racks, but I have compared the 1998 Explorer to my 98 Mountaineer. I want the Mercury rack on my 98 Explorer, but the actual main rails are located differently, including the hole spacing.

So it's unlikely the 95-01 Explorer racks will directly bolt onto the 91-94's. You could compare the rails bolt spacing, and if that matched, then you could easily swap the rails. The cross bars are much different, I also bet those won't swap to the other generation rails.

Do some measuring first, then you can figure it out.

Back