Need advice on Wheel bearings and manual hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on Wheel bearings and manual hubs

westfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
My 94, automatic, has 170,000. The auto hubs are shot and I get some rumbling in the front end with about a quarter inch play when I grip and move the tires. I want to replace the inner and outer wheel bearings and change to manual hubs.

I am not going to do any heavy off roading...But I want to put quality parts in it...What do you suggest I get for the manual hubs and bearings ? Never did this job before so It is going to be fun ! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't go wrong with Timken bearings.

There aren't a lot of choices for manual hubs. Mile Marker or Warn are about the only real options. Warn are higher quality but command a higher price as well. If you feel like rummaging through a junkyard, Warn manual hubs were available on first gen Explorers and would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying them retail. If you're only expecting light recreational off roading, then you might want to take a look at the Mile Marker hubs. They aren't as robust as Warn, but they're about $100 cheaper on average.

Ditto on the Timken bearings. IIRC it takes two set 37's for each side. The "set" just means it is bearing and race.

As for hubs, I've only used the Warn hubs and never had an issue with them. If you can afford them, I'd go with the warn. That way you don't have to worry about them if you do find yourself off-road in a more extreme situation than you expected.

~Mark

Ditto on the Timken bearings. IIRC it takes two set 37's for each side. The "set" just means it is bearing and race.

As for hubs, I've only used the Warn hubs and never had an issue with them. If you can afford them, I'd go with the warn. That way you don't have to worry about them if you do find yourself off-road in a more extreme situation than you expected.

~Mark

I also agree with the above! On the hubs go the best you can same with the bearings as you just never know when you might have to really use them. Never thought I would but have had to a few times and darn glad I went Warn and tinks.

also the stock nuts and washer with the pin for the manual hubs stink so if you can find or get an up graded set up for them as the stock ones do not fit the notch right and tend to back off some times . Not a good thing for bearings nor if your off road and need to have things working right

Back