XM vs Sirius | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XM vs Sirius

Yeah but I alredy have the KDC 2025 so I am knda stuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess this may be the right place to ask this...

I'm just about to get my XM hooked up as well. I've loved how it sounds and what it has in my friends Benz. Headunit being a Pioneer DEH-7500MP, going to get the XM tuner Pioneer GEX-P910XM and I'm now looking for an antenna. Any suggestions? I know Terk makes ones that are "no drilling" window mounted and send signals through that, or low profile ones on the roof. Also, is there a preferred place to install a roof mount antenna? I'm going to be ordering from OnlineCarStereo.com since it's really local and order tomorrow so I can have a project for this weekend.

Any help/suggestions? Just looking for antenna setups and what's preferred out there, or what's good quality and what not.

Thanks.

draft said:
Guess this may be the right place to ask this...

I'm just about to get my XM hooked up as well. I've loved how it sounds and what it has in my friends Benz. Headunit being a Pioneer DEH-7500MP, going to get the XM tuner Pioneer GEX-P910XM and I'm now looking for an antenna. Any suggestions? I know Terk makes ones that are "no drilling" window mounted and send signals through that, or low profile ones on the roof. Also, is there a preferred place to install a roof mount antenna? I'm going to be ordering from OnlineCarStereo.com since it's really local and order tomorrow so I can have a project for this weekend.

Any help/suggestions? Just looking for antenna setups and what's preferred out there, or what's good quality and what not.

Thanks.

the most popular antenna for XM is the Terk XM3. i have sirius, and the terk SIR3 is the most popular. i installed mine, say you were standing on your rear bumper looking at the roof, i put the antenna in the back right in front of where you would be standing, but not in the middle, to the right, kinda near the vertical roof rack bar, and underneath the horizontal roof rack bar. it's perfect because nothing is blocking it's signal and yet it's not sticking out anywhere waiting to be stolen or something. no one would ever know it was there. i also found it much easier to run the wire from the antenna to the tuner after placing the antenna on the side rather than the middle. i tucked the wire under the roof rack and ran it under the liftgate door and mouldings, it's completely unnoticable and easy to do. i'll get some pics later today when i have a few minutes.

That's the thing, I don't have horizontal roof rack bars anymore, and my truck is so low, it's extremely noticeable if I have that on the roof as the roof is basically eye level. So I'm either looking at the low profile stubby one (XM11) or the one you have, (XM3). I like the XM11 because it's not too abtrusive, but the only place that I could easily wire it is either on the rear hatch or my side windows between the fronts and rear side ones (small sport windows with the gap). On the other hand, the XM3 could just be tossed right on the roof, and yeah, pictures of your setup would be excellent!

MONMIX said:
Yeah but I alredy have the KDC 2025 so I am knda stuck
It looks like that deck has 2 inputs on the back...
CHANGER CONTROL FEATURES
- Changer Control: 2, or 1 + Aux (with KCA-S210A or Compatible Changer)
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=18&sortBy=price&productId=2574

which would make sense cause you can't control a changer with just regular rca plugs (what would be used for AUX inputs). I have a Kenwood Z828 and that has AUX input (w/ rca plugs) and a changer plug on the back and I know for a fact i can use both at the same time, because they just come up as different sources. So Im almost positive you do have the option for XM afterall.

Yeah, ummm I don't understand that.
That IS the HU I have. But there is only one multi-pin input on the back.
unless there is some sort of "stacking " adaptor.
Yeah I definatly have the ability to do Sirius with in the HU. That is not the question at hand, doing both Sirius and changer.

I wonder if I just build a big ol' Y harness,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmm.
Well one easy way to figure this all out.
Crutchfield customer service is second to none.
Just drop them a line.

Draft, here's the pics:

you can see where i ran the wire and how it's really neat and hidden. you can't really see the antenna at all from the ground.

8559antenna_001.jpg

8559antenna_002.jpg

8559antenna_004.jpg

8559antenna_003.jpg

draft said:
That's the thing, I don't have horizontal roof rack bars anymore, and my truck is so low, it's extremely noticeable if I have that on the roof as the roof is basically eye level. So I'm either looking at the low profile stubby one (XM11) or the one you have, (XM3). I like the XM11 because it's not too abtrusive, but the only place that I could easily wire it is either on the rear hatch or my side windows between the fronts and rear side ones (small sport windows with the gap). On the other hand, the XM3 could just be tossed right on the roof, and yeah, pictures of your setup would be excellent!

I have my XM antenna inside on my dash. I get signal 99% of the time and that's good enough for me. I don't like the way they look on the roof. I have the small Sony XM antenna connected to my Pioneer XM receiver.

MONMIX said:
Yeah, ummm I don't understand that.
That IS the HU I have. But there is only one multi-pin input on the back.
unless there is some sort of "stacking " adaptor.
Yeah I definatly have the ability to do Sirius with in the HU. That is not the question at hand, doing both Sirius and changer.

I wonder if I just build a big ol' Y harness,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmm.
Well one easy way to figure this all out.
Crutchfield customer service is second to none.
Just drop them a line.

this is why: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=498
because its says with the KCA-S210A you get that ability which is just that a splicer box.

Nick, yeah man you are right on there!
Crutchfield sent me a reply, the Kenwood KTC-SR 903 Sirus tuner has an input for the CD changer.
So now possibilities abound !!!!!!!!!!
Just not my budget :(

I've heard XM has high sound quality and better difference between the left and right stereo channels...I think it was bacause Sirius compresses the signal to the satellite more.

Thanks for the pics man!

I dunno, I think that would be extremely obvious on my truck considering the back is lowered 3" and front 4". Just too low. And a side-window antenna would sort of destroy the "cleanliness" of the truck, no obstructions thus far...

Any advice? lol =[

Back