• Register Today It's free!

need help with window

muttin_chop_king

Reaction score
City, State
warrensburg missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
2000 ford explorer xlt. I bought the car from a friend and the driver side window is off the track on the rear of the door. the motor and arm can hook to the window just fine but the window is stuck up and I cant figure out whats holding the window up or how to get it to come down??? and then how do I get it back on the rear track?
thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the exact same problem on my 2000 Mountaineer last winter. I just kept taking apart the door until I was able to get the window back in the channels. then I had to re-glue the glass back into the 2 brackets that attach it to the regulator. it's been fine since. you have to be able to turn the glass about 30 degrees to get it back in the channel.

the glass is stuck on something and still in one of the tracks. I cant figure out what its stuck on, anybody know what its stuck on? and then can I still turn the window the thirty degrees while its stillin one track? what kinda glue should I use to reatache the glass to the arm?

the glass is stuck on something and still in one of the tracks. I cant figure out what its stuck on, anybody know what its stuck on? and then can I still turn the window the thirty degrees while its stillin one track? what kinda glue should I use to reatache the glass to the arm?

the problem is that when the glass comes loose of the regulator it can come out of one of the channels and jam. like I said, just keep taking the door apart until you can get the glass to move. I think I removed, or loosened, every window related part before I was able to get the glass freed up enough to get it back in the channel.

I cleaned the bottom edge of he glass, where it was glued to the regulator, with a razor blade and lacquer thinner. then re-glued it with 3M weather stripping adhesive, ran the widow up all the way and let it sit for 24 hours before trying to lower it. it's been almost a year now with no additional problems. (tip: while the glass is out of the way, lube the channels with silicon spray really well).

FYI the spot welds on the lower rear vertical track can fail causing the track to fall out.

FYI the spot welds on the lower rear vertical track can fail causing the track to fall out.

that makes a lot of sense, the rear track is flopping around, I wasn't sure if it was suppose to be loose or not.

Chop King if you need a repair I can confirm the track can be repaired with a 7/16" self drilling framing screw (small screw used in metal stud framing). By setting the screw inside the channel reattaching it to the bracket. I was concerned the head would hit the glass, but I can confirm on a 97 it does not.

the lower rear track is a separate piece that is only held to the upper track with a spring clip thing, so it is a bit wiggly. if you remove the 10mm (maybe its 11mm) bolt from the back side of the door and pull down the lower track comes right out.

you need to get the front edge of the glass to pull down first. if out of the channel this can be tuff to do, but that's where you need to start to get it back in the channel.

FYI: tempered glass is very hard to break unless you apply something sharp to it, so don't be afraid to pull on it.

Koda on mine the welds popped and the loose track ended up busting the end of the door ajar switch right off. The welds at the lower end where 11mm bolt goes.

Back