Need opnion's on 4.0 to 5.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opnion's on 4.0 to 5.0 swap

Reaction score
City, State
Freeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok I'm sure ya'll are getting tired of me seen as this is my 3rd or 4th forum about the swap but i blew my tranny so i'm trying to figure out if i should replace my tranny and than do this swap in a few months or just do it now. I got a 93 explorer 4x4. I'm buying an 80's crown vic witt a 302 in it runs and drive's fine. My 4.0 is sold for $375 already. What my plans are is to take the engine seen as it's carbed and all the ignition(basically everything under the hood of the vic like the radiator and stuff like that also) and drop it in my x and run switch's for it, I'll just be running manifolds right now and i'm leaving the engine stock for the time being. So what i'm figuring all i need is a fuel regulator, b&m rachet shifter, remote oil filtor kit, and than all the little pidly stuff like oil and filter. I got a buddy that's going to build my motor mounts for me for a case of beer, he will also be doing my d-shaft ( lengthing or cutting and balancing), and the brackets that i need. I'll probably just be using the car tranny in the crown vic and just leaving it 2 wheel drive for a month or 2 just so i can get to work. So i guess my 2 main qeustion's are what's the main thing im missing and do u think i can do this for under $1000 not including the $100 for the crown vic. O yeah besides my buddy working at a machine shop i can weld and use torche's.

Back