negative battery terminal cable keeps coming loose 2002 XLT 4.6L 4WD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

negative battery terminal cable keeps coming loose 2002 XLT 4.6L 4WD

The so-called crimp ring terminals for milspec battery costs 50 cent each maximum in your local electric supply shop.

Sorry for being obtuse but I can't exactly visualize what you mean.

What you suggest sounds about right but where would I cut a notch and how big? How would that help when the metal is already touching at the point where the loop closes and the bolt goes through? I can't see anywhere where cutting it would make it tighter. The style of connector that is on there is the kind with the thin metal ring, not the heavy style bale with a bolt through it.

Mine looks sort of like this,

Duralast Top Post Battery Terminal DL01045

where the bolt is threaded in as far as possible. The ends of the metal ring between the bolt and nut are already touching. Where could I cut this to make it fit tighter? I thought about wrapping the post in copper wire or something like that but that seems a bit iffy.

LMHmedchem
I replaced the pos terminal with one like that but had to get a heavy duty crimper to secure the short cable terminal that side. Also using high temperature bearing grease on the post. Haven’t seen corrosion build up for many years since. I only clean it when I had to change the battery, about 3 times so far.

Back