NEW 2001 Mercury Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEW 2001 Mercury Mountaineer

Reaction score
City, State
Lehi, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Bought a HOLY GRAIL 2001 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD, the spruce green and tan leather Friday. Will be here lots for advice. I went to the dealership and there was a little old couple(65+) trading in a suv on a new VW Passat. I thought to myself...well not my kind of car but what the hell. Turns out this thing has 31,000 original miles and is just new all around. Even factory stickers under the car (drive shaft areas), paint still fresh in the wheel wells for gosh sake. Pulled the carfax and the truck has been serviced at the dealership for everything..including oil changes.... I walked out with it for $6495+ my old Volvo wagon in trade ..could not say no

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow- that's a find... Pics! :thumbsup:

:ttiwwp:

did that link...here she is at the dealer..will get more when I get home!

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Looks promising! :thumbsup:

Toss up some undercarriage pics as well...

Holy engine bay! Nice find!

Dang! That things got some great potential

Even the factory grain on the leather steering wheel.

Congrats- that's a heck of a find! :thumbsup:

quick question. It looks like the newer tires have been put in the rear and ones with more wear on the front. They are a matched set of michelins. The truck is AWD and I have read the warnings! I am assuming the rears will wear quicker due to them getting more drive power during normal operating conditions..correct? So I should probably leave them as they are. best ones on the back. please advise and do I rotate as a normal car?

Normally, on a 2wd car I would run the newer on the front. Fronts wear faster IMO due to cornering and alignment stuff. Less chance of hydroplaning also.

However, this would decrease the rotational speed compared to the rear, which may make the awd go all wacky--so, considering this I think if the rears are spinning "slower" than the front there is less worry about this. Newer on the rear gets my vote.

Nice one! I recently got almost the exact same truck, about 6 months ago. Mine is the Monterrey edition, it had a couple of minor quirks, and Im thinking I need some rear differential work. But I got it for 2gs with 130,000 miles on it and only one owner. It had all the repair receipts, and even still had the original dealership door sticker in it. This truck kicks my old 99 Grand Cherokees ass, which i spent probably almost 30,000$ with repairs in 6 years.

Now that is a beauty of a Mountaineer. It kinda make my 99 Spruce Green Mounty look rough.

Soo. Technically if there wasn't a time for the warranty it would still be covered.
That is a very beautiful truck.

Sent from my crap Sidekick using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I am thoroughly jealous what an awesome find!

Back