New calipers, rotors still getting hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New calipers, rotors still getting hot

vulture007

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
OK, I followed the break diary thread and replaced the front rotors, pads, slide pins, calipers, grease seals, rubber hoses and bled the system (92 Explorer 4wd). The glide pins are installed correctly and properly lubricated, the anti rattle springs are also good.

So I take it out for a 5 mile drive and the front wheels are still getting hot to the touch to the point where I cannot keep my hand on them. There is no smoke coming but it looks like the rotors are getting a blueish tint. There is no vibration when I apply the brakes and the calipers appear to be floating properly.

All I can think of is that:

a) the rear braks are not work well enough placing a higher load on the fronts.
b) the heat is coming from the front bearings (but I torqued those properly (finger tight) and re-greased them).

Is there anything else that I might be missing, is there something in the master cylinder that might be causing this. Are the front wheels supposed to get this warm?

Any help appreciated.

V

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

finger tight is not the proper proceedure for setting the pre load on your wheel bearings.

Also what is wrong with wheels getting hot to the touch?
I mean brakes create heat, wheels get hot! I dont see the problem? Is there a problem?

Yes, they did get torqued properly to the specs (not just finger tight).

But, I was concerned about the rotors getting blue from overheating and had no idea if this is normal or not.

Last week after a short journey there was smoke coming out of the driver side rotor so I went ahead and replaced everything on both sides - looked like the caliper was seized.

410Fortune said:
finger tight is not the proper proceedure for setting the pre load on your wheel bearings.

Also what is wrong with wheels getting hot to the touch?
I mean brakes create heat, wheels get hot! I dont see the problem? Is there a problem?

Ah okay thats better :)
Smoke is not normal although 92 explorer brakes do get quite a work out!
I use carbon metallic pads on these brakes, work great! Ceramic was getting really hot and eating up rotors.

the wheel bearings should be cleaned and re-packed, then the pre-load set, then torqued down properly.
Are your hubs working?

Sounds like you got it fixed?

If you jack the front up, how do the wheel spin?
Do they feel like the caliper is still squeezing too tight?

Front brakes do get hot. Like pull in the driveway and hit them with a hose and you will get steam. ( not recommended by the way, good way to warp rotors.)

410Fortune said:
Ah okay thats better :)
Smoke is not normal although 92 explorer brakes do get quite a work out!
I use carbon metallic pads on these brakes, work great! Ceramic was getting really hot and eating up rotors.

the wheel bearings should be cleaned and re-packed, then the pre-load set, then torqued down properly.
Are your hubs working?

Sounds like you got it fixed?

I think so, I just was surprised to find them still getting pretty warm. The hubs work fine - they are still the autos that came with the car but rarely get used.

Thanks for the feedback!

If the wheels spin freely when jacked up and you are not literally seeing the Rotors getting blue I bet you are fine.

Tony H said:
If you jack the front up, how do the wheel spin?
Do they feel like the caliper is still squeezing too tight?

Front brakes do get hot. Like pull in the driveway and hit them with a hose and you will get steam. ( not recommended by the way, good way to warp rotors.)

The wheels spin fine but the pads are definitely rubbing very slightly. I can separate them from the rotor with a screwdriver and the wheel spins more freely then. The slide pins definitely work, I took them apart twice and made sure they are properly installed and lubed with caliper grease. I can't move the calipers by han but when I separate either pad from the rotor with the screwdriver, i see the whole caliper sliding.

It sounds like these do get hot. The new brakes work fine, stops well, no pulls, no vibrations like before (applying the brakes at 60mph). Just wanted to make sure I had done the job right. I also have an audi a4 and even after hard braking the front wheels are cold but their calipers have a different slider mechanism.

Thanks!

sounds fine to me! brake pads contact the rotor at all times, but they di not drag, you should be able to spin the wheel woth some effort (tire on or off, in the air) and the truck should roll easily forward and back on a slight incline...

they get hot, Audi to first Gen X is apples to oranges, Audi = performance minded, weighs nothing with big brakes. First gen X = work horse, 5000# SUV, small brakes just adequate in stock form.

you dont by chance drive with your right foot on the gas and your left foot on the brake?

if you do you could be making the brakes rub slightly causing it...

also pull the back drums off and check the back pads... pretty easy to check... doesnt take long (just remember dont set the parking brake and try to pull the drums off)

Mine get hot & always have. The upgraded brakes on my Acura also get very hot. It's normal.

I drive with one foot only :cool: Thanks for all the feedback, I think I am fine, I just wanted to make sure. I will inspect the rear shoes this weekend. Thanks again to everyone who responded :thumbsup:

Back