New JP Explorer build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New JP Explorer build

Perhaps we could do a lifetime "Elite" membership to one who builds (and records there build here), of a true duplicate to the original JP mobile..:dunno:

Wouldn't that also have to be all electric and run on a track?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's OK, we all know I am going to be the first one to have a bubble top JPX of the forum :D I haz secret info regarding the making of it, muwahaha...

Also, I am in the process of obtaining the VIN's from the original movie cars....That, in combination with my access to super duper secret ford documents, I can locate an exact replica of the exact model they used so I can build a replica out of my replica of the real thing...:confused:

Weren't they just 2wd XL models?

Weren't they just 2wd XL models?

My assumption through pouring over Universal Studio Documents were that these were DSO 2WD XLT's with specific options, namely lack of defrosted rear glass and lack of privacy glass (for filming purposes) yet retained a rear wiper. Not a stock unit type configuration. As far as if it was supplied as a body-in-white, or a dealer supplied vehicle, i am still researching that. But they were gold 92 XLT's (the Beauty Cars anyway, the film used several body-in-whites for close up shots, action shots, etc)

Oh. Well, that is a lot more interesting than I thought I suppose. I guess I should have noticed things like the lack of privacy glass and no rear defrost. Guess I'll have to re-watch the movie.

Some other noteworthy mods to the explorers from the movie were the lack of climate control vents by the wipers on the outside metal between the hood and windshield) , also an entirely molded single piece dashboard with no gauges.

I also think the two beauty cars where stock painted flat tan to match the interior. The factory stickers inside the doors are actually on top of the tan paint. Thus leaving the rest of the car to be painted it's red/yellow/green later.

Wrap is just about done and its looking good. I still need to install all the extras on the car, but i'll post some pics once i pick up the explorer! :thumbsup:

So your saying the explorers they use to have at universal in orlando are fake? Lol just kidding um sure they are, They use to have 3 there and I think they still have one at the park to date. But anyways my dad had me write down the vin numbers and I remember at least one was a 4x4 Eddie Bauer they all had the bfg's, the slanted 5 spoke wheels, brush guard on one and push/cow catcher type guard. All had bubble glass roof. I wish I knew where the picture was we had several. I'll have to talk to my dad and see if he remembers but the Eddie Bauer was axed from the movie due to them using the jeep. The EB ha a gun rack on each window, and few other cool things.

There was also one built that was on display at the chicago motor show back in the early 90's when the movies opened. However , it wasn't used in the films , you can tell because it has a full dashboard and the running boards are different. Other then that it's identical.

I always wanted a explorer because of that movie, but when I was old enough to drive I searched for a company that made those glass tops but found it was just for the movie lol. So I bought a gt mustang.

I read some where there was suppose to be 6 explorers 01 02 which looked liked tge one i seen at the park the Eddie Bauer with gun racks on each rear window, 4x4 etc those where going to be the safari free roaming vehicles. The there were 04, 05, 06, 07 the electrical track vehicles. I need a new computer so I can find the links I seen some the this I read about last night.

For those whom are interested. The wrap is done! Here are some pics!!

Done!!! (Well for the wrap anyways)

I'll update more after this weekend when i put the rest on and paint the rims!

well that sure is an easy way to do it!

Very nice:thumbsup: So much easier then painting! Trust me!:(

Do you mind if I ask how much it was?

looking good.

Very nice:thumbsup: So much easier then painting! Trust me!:(

Do you mind if I ask how much it was?

Thanks! It was just a tad over $3200 for the wrap. Not the cheapest, but i felt it was the best way for me to go!

Thanks! It was just a tad over $3200 for the wrap. Not the cheapest, but i felt it was the best way for me to go!

Wow! I'll stick to my few hundred dollar Rustoleom paint job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek: for 3200$ I'd sure be mad at the stripes they made. I was thinking the wrap was cheaper then paint but holy cow.

Back