New tires... PIU specific question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New tires... PIU specific question

P

PIUtility

With the number of threads here leading all over the place, and the increase in PI ownership over the last year I felt a PI Ute specific thread was worthy.

First and foremost, I have nothing but disdain and malice towards the Eagle GSA tires. They're mediocre at best, and given a 40-60% wear they become almost useless on anything but dry roads when pushed a little hard. Previous experience with them on a P71 was less than stellar as well, and I downright fear them in ice and snow driving. Im about in need of replacing all 5 since a work and long distance driving force me on the spare more than a few miles this year, and I'm not looking to spend this kind of money on a tire I downright hate.

THAT SAID, Ive had mixed reaction from 2 dealerships on using anything but the OEM tire for warranty issues, but I cant bring myself to spend almost an entire paycheck on tires I loathe. I've looked into a few other tires in the same size, but I think I want slightly taller tire and something in a better compound and tread design. I did some significant ice/snow/rain driving in my Ridgeline on the stock Michelin LTX M/S tires, and for a southerner driving in blizzard weather for the first time, they brought me home safe from 4 states away twice. I've seen 2 PI Utes local for beach patrol with Michelin LTX A/T in a 265/60/18 and the officers reported zero issues, but I'm not sure how much "regular" driving they do with their patrol vehicles.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, concerns, insight, recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All our Interceptors get Firestone Firehawks after the OEM tires wear out. I have been impressed so far.

All of our cars, SUV/sedan/truck, all get Michelins as replacements. That's all our shop stocks.

I have a sport, but I have recently put on Nitto NT421Q'S and have been impressed so far.

If the dealer is telling you that you need to stick with the OEM tires for warranty purposes, have a look at the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

If the dealer is telling you that you need to stick with the OEM tires for warranty purposes, have a look at the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

I'm leaning towards them trying to emphasize going with the same size as OEM more than likely, but for the driving im starting to do I'd like to go with a taller and wider tire. There's no telling with all the changes they made to the PI over the regular Explorer though, what they'd do if something happened.

Have you checked out Tire Rack?

I'm leaning towards them trying to emphasize going with the same size as OEM more than likely, but for the driving im starting to do I'd like to go with a taller and wider tire. There's no telling with all the changes they made to the PI over the regular Explorer though, what they'd do if something happened.

I'd have to agree that they meant tire size. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. I've never heard someone be denied their warranty based on a tire change. I have a buddy who has a 2009 GT500 and he did all sorts of warranty-voiding mods, and the dealership still did warranty work. They never even noticed the stuff he did. NOW, had he blown his engine or damaged his s/c due to putting on a larger pulley, I could see them voiding it.

Back