nightmare began with low fuel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nightmare began with low fuel

nardbuster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer xlt
Driving with low fuel left me sleepless. I have not ever driven my 1999 5.0L XLT with gas at such a low level before. Then I put some gas from a questionable filling station.
The next day my 5.0L missed and showed no power. Two questions came to mind. The fuel or plugged filter / fuel pump. I went to a different filling station and added more gas. The idea add some better gas to mix with the bad gas.

A past experience came to mind. where I changed my plug wires and spark plugs. So I began there, New plug wires and plugs. Not the problem, changed the fuel filter, nope still runs poor, no power and interlopes to speed. Next idea was to drain the tank. I tried to use the fuel pump relay to drain the tank, something sparked.
I must have connected the the wrong terminals. Besides the fuel didn't flow from the hose attached to gas line from the tank. Darkness came, I reconnected the gas filter and tried to start the 5.0. Gas does no longer make it to the gas rail... Has the jack lifted the car to a point where gas doesn't get to the gas pickup in the tank?
If the relay idea did not work. Can I put power to the power aft of the interia gas switch to get the fuel pump to assist in draining the tank through the line from the tank.
I have having a nightmare at this point......
Did I damage my Explorer by trying the relay trick to empty my fuel cell?
Tomorrow the sun will rise...I need some.ideas......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuel pump fuse.

Bill

I located a fuse 30a common to the PCM relay, is open. I will replace it this evening.
I believe my Explorer will start again.
As I mentioned . The fuel pump relay idea to drain my gas tank. The relay I chose is for the PCM, the spark was arrested by the 30a fuse (ref. Explorerforum.com sticky )(#10 ). #10 fuse is a red wire (chilton ref.) that is the PCM, fuel pump, MAF, injectors and IAC valve.
I think my Explorer will start... I will share my experience.
Don't look for a red wire..... the fuse in the distribution box is the target.

Worst case scenario running the pump dry or close to dry has ruined it. Best case, as you said, that station had crap gas.

I don't REALLY believe in coincidences when working on cars, I wouldn't sum up the problem to be something like spark plugs or something if it happened immediately following you running the tank dry.

Also the fuel filler neck on my 92 got super rusty, the rust would then flake off into the tank. When I pull the sock off the fuel pump, it is full of rust... This causes the low power and missing that you described. For me my issue is rust in the tank. Perhaps letting the fuel level run low has allowed all the rust or other crud in the tank to sink down to the bottom of the tank, clogging and blocking the fuel pumps filter sock?

Worst case scenario running the pump dry or close to dry has ruined it. Best case, as you said, that station had crap gas.

I don't REALLY believe in coincidences when working on cars, I wouldn't sum up the problem to be something like spark plugs or something if it happened immediately following you running the tank dry.

Also the fuel filler neck on my 92 got super rusty, the rust would then flake off into the tank. When I pull the sock off the fuel pump, it is full of rust... This causes the low power and missing that you described. For me my issue is rust in the tank. Perhaps letting the fuel level run low has allowed all the rust or other crud in the tank to sink down to the bottom of the tank, clogging and blocking the fuel pumps filter sock?

Let me go outside and scream!! :eek:
Baby steps.....

Back