No Amber? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Amber?

Wassup...im new here...i got a 95 explorer sport, i live in Ocala, Florida...
and now a question,: is removing the amber reflectors off of the corner of the headlight illegal?(info on Florida if possible). i have tried to look this up on google, but i haven't got any answers...so if u can help me thanx, Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as the bulbs light up amber your fine. I have clears & amber bulbs. So when my lights are on or my blinkers I still flash amber.

Could you get away with something else? Likely, It's not something cops normaly check for.

Aren't many states requiring a certain amount of reflective material on the side corners? Can't remember where I heard that.

hey, thanx 4 the help, because i was just wondering if it was street legal and instead of buying clear corners, i was just going to take off the amber reflector off myself (i read on here somewhere that doing this is better)
-later

Florida law/vehicle code 2007

Not more than two amber or white lights on each corner panel. Lighting may not cause glare. Is law enforcement ticketing in FL for having white/clear corners?

I run clear bulbs in my clear corners but i live in a small town that you can get away with things like clear front lights

i was thinking about putting clears in my corners.
i have a '00 explorer and was wondering if there was a site where i could order them.

if anyone knows, please help.
thanks.

I run clear bulbs in my clear corners but i live in a small town that you can get away with things like clear front lights

I think you would want clear front lights. :p:
Cause if they were prismatic.. you wouldn't be able to see a damn thing :D
(I'm talking literal prisms)
But just pokin' some fun at ya Burns:)

Anyway, Clears are Ok so long as they have built in reflectors and are amber when lit. They MUST have reflectors.

Ebay, Pro Grille

i was thinking about putting clears in my corners.
i have a '00 explorer and was wondering if there was a site where i could order them.

if anyone knows, please help.
thanks.

They have some that cost very little and the same ones that cost twice... use your best judgment. I've had mine for a while, no leaks, perfect fit, no cracking... (before you start the install ask Ford for a bag of grommets - the little plastic fasteners that holds the lamps in - like $2.00 - I'll get a wider shot so you can see the fit...

Has anyone with the clear corners (that don't have the amber reflectors, but have clear reflectors) had any trouble with inspections in their state?

Yea thats a cool quick 5 minute upgrade,and its kewl with the availability on ebay. Are they a good fit I wonder?? Same thing with underglow neons I got-a-hold sum fer free in V.A. cuz this lady said they were against the "law in V.A. But in Florida...Na U can drive anything and get away with it down there, bald tires, cracked windsheild,ECT. Theres no inspection in FL.

It isn't the lack of a reflector or the presence of a clear reflector instead of an amber one (or red in the rear) that makes the "clear lenses" illegal in all 50 states...it's that the drivers don't put another amber reflector in another location to make up for it. You'll notice the newer model vehicles that use factory "clear" headlamps without an amber reflector and "altezza" style taillights with no red reflector have the required color reflector integrated into the bumper. If you do this, clears are perfectly legal. (although that doesn't mean they meet any safety standards) If you don't have a reflector, it violates the law. So, WHY does the law require these stupid reflectors that mess up the cosmetics, anyway? Drive 70 mph on the highway at night in bad weather and then collide with the back end of a vehicle you never saw because their taillights were out and you'll find out.

It isn't the lack of a reflector or the presence of a clear reflector instead of an amber one (or red in the rear) that makes the "clear lenses" illegal in all 50 states...it's that the drivers don't put another amber reflector in another location to make up for it. You'll notice the newer model vehicles that use factory "clear" headlamps without an amber reflector and "altezza" style taillights with no red reflector have the required color reflector integrated into the bumper. If you do this, clears are perfectly legal. (although that doesn't mean they meet any safety standards) If you don't have a reflector, it violates the law. So, WHY does the law require these stupid reflectors that mess up the cosmetics, anyway? Drive 70 mph on the highway at night in bad weather and then collide with the back end of a vehicle you never saw because their taillights were out and you'll find out.

You got a point there buddy. :salute:

????

You got a point there buddy. :salute:

1. I thought we were talking about front corners;
2. 70mph in bad weather at night?? My goodness, with or w/o reflective material, that's looking for trouble.
3. Clear corners are not illegal in all 50. And most of them are not really clear, just the daytime appearance. At night, mine don't appear clear like they do in the daytime...

Are we still on front lenses?:scratch::confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. I thought we were talking about front corners;
2. 70mph in bad weather at night?? My goodness, with or w/o reflective material, that's looking for trouble.
3. Clear corners are not illegal in all 50. And most of them are not really clear, just the daytime appearance. At night, mine don't appear clear like they do in the daytime...

Are we still on front lenses?:scratch::confused:

Yeah.. Well IMO trying to see a white reflector in fog is more difficult than seeing a yellow reflector..(thats the only point I saw.:p:)

Back