No Link to OBDII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Link to OBDII

HjoeV

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I was trying to diagnose if my Instrument panel was not and to my bad judgement used a different one, and proceed to try and turn on the engine, this activated PATS and now it wont turn, doors, locks, nothing works. My main issue is that there is no link to OBD and most recently no power anywhere on the vehicle. I only hear (Relay 1 - Flasher Relay) from the reverse side of the interior fuse panel buzzing nonstop, same with (Relay 51 - Auto Lamp) of the Power distribution box. I can't think of any reason as to why the relays would be doing that. I even disconnected the Instrument panel, central security module, ECU, and PCM and they would still keep buzzing loudly until I unplug the battery, turn the key, or try moving the powered seat. Is it a short circuit? I must be missing something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your battery voltage?

Make sure the terminals are tight and clean? Low voltage will make relays and instrument cluster go nuts.

So, after long hours looking for an issue. Turns out when I plugged the wrong instrument panel in. It shorted out my battery, the two mentioned relays, and the wiper/turn signal/emergency lights/ highbeams switch. Im not sure what its called but it controls all that on the steering wheel. After replacing said part and relays the electrical system was no longer short circuting and I had power on the OBDII plug and could reprogram my Keys to the PATS and she started back up no problems.

Back