Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moab 2012 DVD

Martin I got your DVD! Thanks, what a great bunch of photos!! Now I have to do something about all of mine. stay safe, Michael

Thats sweet write up!!

..Sorry I haven't posted up more of a trip report by now but I have been holding back on some bad news I had to deal with shortly after this trip..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2970241&postcount=283

...Martin, Thank you as I also received the DVD..

..Mike, Thank You for the unexpected stickers for the group...

..And I truly will post up more pictures and videos of this trip as a bit more time passes..;)

Details on this trip- if I were to retrace your steps, how would I? In google maps, Moab to Monument Valley is 150 miles (taking the highway, of course). How far on the trails you took? Any "checkpoints" along the way?

From what I've seen, the trails aren't difficult, which very much appeals to me. Rock crawling is cool, but it's not my thing. Some of the trails may have some rocks to navigate, but nothing a stock 4x4 shouldn't be able to handle. Am I correct with this assumption?

Are there any good resources for helping to plan a trip such as this?

Sorry to hear about your loss. At least she was with you for one last adventure, right?

Are there any good resources for helping to plan a trip such as this?

Backcountry Adventures: Utah Guide Book by Peter Massey & Jeanne Wilson

Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition) by Charles Wells

National Geographic Paper Maps of Canyonlands, LaSal and Cedar Mesa (703, 706 and 210)

..First, I just had some time to read some of Martin's trip report and apparently his wife is and has been in the hospital since just after he got home from this trip...I hope all is well and maybe he will fill us in when he gets a chance..

...I would like to think of our trips as a one off..;)

..It takes close to a year planning and researching where we want to go to get the most out of the trip just to get there and still be flexible enough to change at the last minute due to weather, road conditions, etc..

..I add a tiny bit to the mix but must give credit to Brian1, ScottB, Martinjmpr, for being the main participants this run as in maps, reservations, and constant researching before the trip..I was a part timer but was available for all important stuff..:D..One thing I did add to the trip was to make sure to go thru Arches during the "Free National parks" weekend..:)

..To follow in our footsteps would actually be more difficult than to plan ahead to join us on the "3rd annual Desert Expedition" which is about to get into the planning stages pretty soon..:biggthump

..As for mileage just on our journey from Moab to Monument Valley I want to say I put 700 miles on with only about 150 miles being on pavement..:scratch:..I could be off but we went thru a bit of gas...

..Talking about gas, everyone averaged loaded down about 17-18 mpg highway and 12.5-13 offroad..

..Then the guys who were running their a/c the last couple days were really sucking the gas...Out on trail a couple of the guys were saying they needed to think about getting more gas before the next big stretch as the were a little over a quarter tnk and Brian and myself were looking at each other cause we both had over 3/4 of a tank..The a/c running guys gas must a went down to about 7mpg offroad..:p:

..As for rock crawling and this trip...It was pretty much how you just described you would like it to be...There were a couple trails that had "Guardian" entries that we decided if all couldn't pass thru we wouldn't either..

...This is common on our trips as in there is no one left behind, out on their own, but this also means everyone is on the same page, understands this,
and that's just how we roll..:burnout:

..We could do harder rated expedition trips but with the trucks loaded down for a 1-2 week trip the carnage factor not only outside but also inside can be costly real quick...Plus, EF already has several other annual runs designed just for this type of fun..

..Sorry I haven't posted up more of a trip report by now but I have been holding back on some bad news I had to deal with shortly after this trip..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2970241&postcount=283

...Martin, Thank you as I also received the DVD..

..Mike, Thank You for the unexpected stickers for the group...

..And I truly will post up more pictures and videos of this trip as a bit more time passes..;)

sorry to hear about your loss tbars. its always hard. some people think im crazy when i say that putting down my dog a few years ago thats been with me since i was a child was the hardest thing i ever had to do, and believe me, ive lived quite a life. that was over 7 years ago and i still hurt a little when i think about that time in my own life. but what makes me feel better is to just look back at pictures and reminisce with fam. hope you feel better soon!

Tbars4, I know how it is to lose a pet. You had a unique relationship with Harley. Even though she did not think much of me, I am glad I had a chance to meet her and spend a few days to get to know her.

..Thanks guys..:salute:

...Don't take it personal as she was truly a Diva and very independent..I truly believe she thought these trips and the drivers meetings were solely for us to gather and serve her..:D

...I'm going to unpin this as a stickie Gentlemen..:D

..But don't worry, everyone can still continue to add their pictures and stories...:biggthump

(cough)Scott(cough)

Hi, everyone. My trip report over on ExPo has resumed, as the wife is home and doing much better.

Ted, so sorry to hear about your loss! Harley was a sweetheart and I know you'll miss her.

Harley......

Ted.... I am so sorry to hear Harley is gone... That dog was a pisser, I have some neat photos of her from Moab on the CD everyone is getting, RIP poochie. Michael

Back