Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report

Wednesday morning we ran down Moki Dugway and started Valley of the Gods

m_DSC03307.jpg

Lady in a Tub rock formation

m_DSC03311.jpg

Guidance by Lowrance

m_DSC03313.jpg

The day was overcast and it started to rain and the wind picked up at the very end. We each headed home from the end of Valley of the Gods.

m_DSC03321.jpg

I will upload some video later on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great shots Brian:chug:

Awsome pics! My favorite ruins are the ones down at San Juan Hill. Was there much water in Comb Wash south of hwy 163?

Fabulous report and wonderful pics :thumbsup:

Brian: Great pictures! You really captured a lot of the great scenery we saw. I started a "teaser" thread over on ExPo but I'm still going through my pictures. I think I took about 750 photos. Total size is 2gb so I will be burning DVDs for you guys not CDs. Hope to have them in the mail by early next week. Thanks again to you, Ted, Scott and the other guys for helping to put this together and for showing us the ruins.

BTW, cleaning the battery terminals seems to have worked on my 4runner, I hooked the Scangauge back up and it has worked flawlessly since then. Of course, I still have probably 10 lbs or red dust and dirt in my truck to clean up!

..Pictures of Scott's truck as promised..

Disclaimer: :D

..this is how I heard it but will wait for the facts..:shifty_ey ..after I post this of course..:p:

..:scratch:..The story as I heard it was something about traveling down a rip/rap road, then into a ditch on two wheels, across the road doing a 180 into the other ditch up on two wheels and the only initial sign of damage was the broke window...

..I was hoping to get a better pic of the electrical tape job as we all were conflicted if it was more of a lattice look or a good place to use as a checker board..:)
0422121626.jpg

..and a day or two later he added a duct tape trim for accent..
0423120629.jpg

Awsome pics! My favorite ruins are the ones down at San Juan Hill. Was there much water in Comb Wash south of hwy 163?

No water in the south wash. In fact the only water we saw along either side of the comb was the San Juan and the pool below monarch.

..I talked to Scott a bit ago and he is in Oklahoma and shall be home tomorrow or so..His dad made it home yesterday afternoon..:biggthump.

Holy crap, this thread makes me want to plan a week off of work next week!

Nice pictures!! I especially like the ones where the X's are all on the cliff's edge... so epic....

Looks like y'all had a great trip. Looking forward to more pics and vids.

Brian is Marty with the blue 1st gen sport still around? I think he was from Albuquerque. I'm not around here much anymore but I haven't seen anything from him in years.

Murphy's Hogback-

Brian is Marty with the blue 1st gen sport still around? I think he was from Albuquerque. I'm not around here much anymore but I haven't seen anything from him in years.

Marty had a 4 door green 1st gen. I havent seen him in many years either.

...It is definitely hard to choose which pictures to post...:scratch:

..Here are a couple pics at the top of Murphy's Hogback looking onto our decent..
raven_cliff.JPG

..The road down..
P10100135.JPG

..This is a set of Brian and I heading over to our last campsite on White Rim Trail, Labrynth..

..I think this part of White Rim is probably the most fun road as it had everything from steep climbs, rutted out roads which needed maintianing as we dropped our tires in them on the cliffs edge, awesome views and included a deep sand wash run just to get to camp..

..Just after leaving the others at their camp at Potato Bottom I catch up to Brian as he is turning on his GoPro for this part of the adventure..
0419121530.jpg

..the squeezes were tight and you can see Brian heading in about center of this picture..
0419121531a.jpg

..The fun begins only after you come up this bottom road shown on the left and travel thru the gate shown here on the right..(yes those are the cliffs jetting into and over the bottom road..)
0419121533.jpg

..A view after the decent heading down to the river..
0419121542.jpg

..entering the deep sand wash..
0419121615.jpg

..and just after I came out of the wash looking across the ravine I see Brian had just pulled into camp..
0419121618.jpg

..Just after leaving the others at their camp at Potato Bottom I catch up to Brian as he is turning on his GoPro for this part of the adventure..

And here that section is, my battery died before coming to the descent:

How many of these trails would I have been able to do in 4wd fullsize chevy?

How many of these trails would I have been able to do in 4wd fullsize chevy?

All of them. A few of the White Rim switchbacks might have been slightly challenging due to being a fullsize truck but still very do-able. South Comb Wash would have probably been the hardest, it was really tight between the bushes in some places and a short rocky part on a switchback.

All of them. A few of the White Rim switchbacks might have been slightly challenging due to being a fullsize truck but still very do-able. South Comb Wash would have probably been the hardest, it was really tight between the bushes in some places and a short rocky part on a switchback.

Trying to get the okay to turn the Chevy into an expo rig. Will have to see what I can do for next year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Do it...These are must see trails in one's lifetime..;)

...It seems everyone who was on this trip is currently overwhelmed with unpacking, getting back to work and the usual stuff that creeps up and waits for you to get home from one of these long trips..Not to mention the hour it takes to go thru all the pics and videos..

..But stay tuned as there is still plenty of stuff from everyone involved, that will be posted up here from the trip..:biggthump

Back