• Register Today It's free!

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Jorgen

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 S4, '04 Explorer
The wife came home telling me the Service Transmission light and O/D off light came on today on her way to work. Didn't come on when she came home. I told her to get it serviced 6 months ago but with a brand new baby she didn't find the time. The Ex (2004 4.0l) has just under 70k on it right now. Is this the first foot in the grave? If we get it in for the standard filter, fluid etc. will it help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jorgen,

I can't guarantee that what I did to my wifes (er ex-wifes) 2004 XLT Explorer would work for you, but here it is. Her Explorer was experiencing the poor shifting quality (clunking into gear, bad shifts, etc.) so I replaced the shift solenoid and valve body, also replaced the filter along with fresh fluid, tweeked the fluid level a couple of times and so far it runs like a brand new vehicle. Bear in mind that she DID NOT get the flashing OD light or any fault codes during this time frame so I may have gotten the save in time. Ford has a few dozen TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on this particular transmission! Depending on your mechanical ability all of the items mentioned above are easily replaced at the owner level. This website has been a tremendous help! These transmissions are extremely finicky and need a good deal of attention throughout the ownership of the vehicle. I wish you luck with it.

Jorgen,

I can't guarantee that what I did to my wifes (er ex-wifes) 2004 XLT Explorer would work for you, but here it is. Her Explorer was experiencing the poor shifting quality (clunking into gear, bad shifts, etc.) so I replaced the shift solenoid and valve body, also replaced the filter along with fresh fluid, tweeked the fluid level a couple of times and so far it runs like a brand new vehicle. Bear in mind that she DID NOT get the flashing OD light or any fault codes during this time frame so I may have gotten the save in time. Ford has a few dozen TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on this particular transmission! Depending on your mechanical ability all of the items mentioned above are easily replaced at the owner level. This website has been a tremendous help! These transmissions are extremely finicky and need a good deal of attention throughout the ownership of the vehicle. I wish you luck with it.

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into the valve body. I should be fine to do most any work myself ( a few engine swaps/rebuilds and a mechanical engineering degree and 1/2). I will look into the valve body rebuild/sol. valve change. Might start with a fluid flush and go from there once I know new fluid is in there.

I went to have the fluid and filter replaced and a local shop couldn't do it as they claimed it was a special connector that they didnt' have. Did Ford really make the weak link on this thing an item that can only be serviced at Ford?

Also has ford found a way to stop making crap explorer transmissions? seriously they are netoriously bad wouldn't you think they would do something about it over 20 years?

Super! sounds like you have the ability. Really weird that anyone would tell you that they don't have the "special connector" to change a transmission filter and fluid. What they may mean is the fitting you need to check the fluid level due to this being a sealed transmission? Funny thing is this fitting "field expedient variety" can easily be purchased at any hardware store. I want to say it's a 1/8" NPT, which threads into the drain plug, may want to run a search on this site to confirm that. I agree that Ford should have been a little bit more concerned about the quality of these transmissions, especially with the high ratio of complaints they have had. I don't think the Adaptive Shift Strategy transmisson should be mated to the Drive by Wire technology like what's on the 2004 Explorer....just my opinion!

hey, you are close buy. . . .
Same thing happened with ours. . .but a little worse, but we have a 5r55s your a 'w' i think. Wife heard a bang, no third gear then the O/D Check Trans came on, No third gear at 53k. I might have been a little hard on it to begin with the v8 is fun. Flatbed time and towed it to a guy (RC trans & gear in R.O.) that rebuilt two of my transfer cases, great work and even better warranty. He did a full rebuild, replaced one of the planetary gears that self destructed. Much better than new too.
Since the light has gone off and it stays off you might get lucky with a VB but you also need to check the servo bores too, that's part of the root problem. They disintegrate and break down. But if i remember right you can redo them without pulling the case.
Good luck.

jrford, How much was the tranny rebuild if you don't mind me asking? I don't have problems right now, but understand it could come in the future.

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I will be checking things out this weekend, hopefully I can get it fixed up enough to keep ticking another 70k

So if I am going to be doing component replacement (sol block etc) should I gof ro the full fluid flush first then I should have fresh fluid and can just replace the 5 qts or so that are lost when replacing those parts right. Otherwise doesn't this trans hold a bunch more? I am just in a chicken or egg thing. Repalce the fluid then the parts (keep only new fluid in the new parts) or replace the parts then flush.

he quoted $1,600 before teardown (over the phone no less). . . after he got it apart he had to put in 500-800 in parts alone. Price didn't change, lifetime warranty. I had to leave it with him for 10 days though . . he knows all about them.

were abouts do you live. . .

he quoted $1,600 before teardown (over the phone no less). . . after he got it apart he had to put in 500-800 in parts alone. Price didn't change, lifetime warranty. I had to leave it with him for 10 days though . . he knows all about them.

were abouts do you live. . .

Hmm lifetime warranty eh? I might have to check them out, if things don't turn positive after some minor work. I live right near telegraph and Maple in Bloomfield so R.O. is close enough. I could always get the wife to drive my Audi and I could take the cougar out for a week or two if this does need a full rebuild.

Randy, good guy, . . .yep, lifetime when i had mine done last year. . .he quoted me over the phone, never changes, which is the best part. Solid a year later, great shifts.
Cougar would be sweet. Mine was an '04 Blue EB. . . blown 3rd gear planetary/drum.

tele-15 huh, i'm at woodward-14.5. He is located near/next to the meijer's north of 14 east of Coolidge, i forgot which road. . he has a web site now. . . rctransandgear.com

Randy, good guy, . . .yep, lifetime when i had mine done last year. . .he quoted me over the phone, never changes, which is the best part. Solid a year later, great shifts.
Cougar would be sweet. Mine was an '04 Blue EB. . . blown 3rd gear planetary/drum.

tele-15 huh, i'm at woodward-14.5. He is located near/next to the meijer's north of 14 east of Coolidge, i forgot which road. . he has a web site now. . . rctransandgear.com

Thanks for the details. I will hit him up if it comes to that, which I sure hope it doesn't. I would rather give them $1.6k with a warranty than the junk yard anything with no promises.

I am going to do the fluid Saturday morning before taking off for a buddies bachelor party in canada and visit to the Windsor Ballet. After that I will look into the rest.

I should bring the old cougar back for a summer run. I haven't had the car stored at my house in bloomfield or driven it in a over a year, my dad takes her out for me every few weeks to keep it healthy. It is just sitting in my parents garage as the triumph, and all the various homeowner snow and yard toys take up most of my garage here.

Problem is back.
After the fluid swap early last year we stopped getting the Check Transmission and O/D Off lights but they have started coming back and more regularly I guess. Looking around I am still hearing that the servo bores issue, solenoid pack and possibly valve body are the common issues.

Has anyone used http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/order-here.html this guys Servo Bore Trans Fix items? It would be well worth the couple hundred bucks to toss these in if they seem to be worth while and fix the problems.

I would like to know if the modified servo bore fix works. looks like a good idea to keep the pressure with o-rings. pm me if you try or if anyone else tried thanks

I ordered a set. I got the shipping announcment yesterday. Not sure when I will try to install them, depends if I decide to try to do it in the heated bay on the lift at my office or do it on the garage floor in the cold of Michigan.

I would go for the heat!! If you could samp a few photos that would be great . thanks

Back