On the subject of gas. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On the subject of gas.

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited Edition
Is it odd or unheard of for an X to get about 20-24 mpg on the highway and between 16-19 in town?

I usually drive about 10 over the speed limit on the highway and usually a little over in towns. on the interstate i drive with traffic.

The most mpg i got was about 25.6, right now on average im at 20.

I use texaco gas which in my town is switching over to shell. i put in premium(93octane).

Oh I also have 106,??? miles on my vehicle...yep im changing oil and stuff this weekend. I should have done that at 106,000

also here is a snap shot i took off the message center stating 24 mpg. it was on the way home on interstate 80 coming back from wilkes-barre, pa.

mpg.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're pretty lucky that your truck does that well on gas, the difference between highway and around town isnt that suprising. explorer's a pretty heavy trucks to get moving. Also you might want to try running 87 octane it's alot better for your truck. the computer is programmed to run on 87 octane and it's not good for the motor if you run a higher octane fuel.

Your damn lucky to be getting that good of mileage from your truck. Some of us (me included) are getting about 12 mpg highway. But the thing is, you just cursed yourself now that you were showing off your mpg to us:p You are soon going to start dropping mpg for some strange reason.

By asking the question, you now have jinxed your truck getting 24+ mpg. Ahh-hhaaaa. :p

Seriously though, you should check Aldive's 30 mpg. It might be something you'd be very interested in.

I get 16mpg on the highway and around town, but considering what i've done to my truck i think its actually pretty good. :D

It is not unheard of to get in the low 20s but most people get around 15-18. The norm for me is about 17 as long as I drive sane. Up till 2 years ago, my driving habits were those of 16 year olds. Accelerating quickly at a light, cruising at 70+ MPH. On occassion I still drive like a nut I guess its just the kid in me trying to get out.

I wish I got that good of gas mileage!! I get about 20-22 on highway and about 14 in town.:mad:

mid grade huh. The next time i'll fill up my tank, i'll try that.

keep in mind thats the average for the speed your going, that is if you drove non-stop on a full tank of gas, till it was empty thats how many miles per gallon you would get, thus why highway mpg are always greater.

i bet if you hit the brakes after you took that picture it would have decreased alot probably to about 11 or so...so the moral is dont' trust the computer, keep track of how many miles you get, and how many gallons you put in your truck

my 97 sport gets on average 17.1 thats half city, half highway, and about 24 highway

If you live in an ozone non attainment area (middle to large city with frequent high ozone levels) you are buying oxegenated or reformulated gasoline. Mileage from this gasoline is 10 to 15% lower that standard gasoline. You can tell if the gas pumps have active vapor recovery systems.

gas

Hey unclemeat - I forget, does your engine make less horsepower with the reform gas, or just use more of it ? That's what we get here in the DFW area. I get 14-16 city and 20-21 hwy with my SOHC 99 xlt 2WD 4.10 rear.

I think horsepower is the same. It just takes more gas to do the same work. Ther are less hydrocarbons in the reformulated gas.

gas

thanks unclemeat.

Originally posted by EliteConcept
keep in mind thats the average for the speed your going, that is if you drove non-stop on a full tank of gas, till it was empty thats how many miles per gallon you would get, thus why highway mpg are always greater.

i bet if you hit the brakes after you took that picture it would have decreased alot probably to about 11 or so...so the moral is dont' trust the computer, keep track of how many miles you get, and how many gallons you put in your truck

my 97 sport gets on average 17.1 thats half city, half highway, and about 24 highway

I'm not sure how earlier Explorers figured the mpg, but my 2003 mpg doesn't react the way that you are describing. I just finished a 600 mile trip out to the Smokey Mountains. The longer that I drive, the longer it takes to change the average mpg reading.

On the way out, for instance, mpg was reading 22.1 until we hit the mountains and then it very slowly started to go down from there even under heavy acceleration to get up the hills. After 2 days of driving through the hills the reading was down to 19.2.

So in other words, hitting the brake and then taking a picture wouldn't have shown any difference in my readings on the 2003 computer.

Do older computers figure the mileage differently? How accurate have people found the trip computer? I haven't ever compared the computer numbers with a calculated number.

Back