Open to Locker? Aussie or Powertrac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Open to Locker? Aussie or Powertrac

ExpoinLA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Anyone have any advice on 2001 Ford Expo Sport Lockers?

Aussie or Powertrax?

Differences? Quality?

Want to do diff service and do it all together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You putting in the front or rear?

I put in a powertrax lockright in the front a few months back. So far no issues wheelin it out in the sand and rocks here in the high desert. Quality is what you would expect. It's good. I haven't seen an Aussie but consensus is their the "best" ...their also the most difficult to find I notice as I shopped and the auzzies cost a little more.

I've got the hub lockout conversion so if something fails it will be those not the locker.

I wouldn't do the lunchbox in the front without the lockouts it's too hard to control on the road the couple of times I tried it locked.

Both are good.

Been running my lock right for in my 8.8 for 12 years now. :thumbsup:

I had powertrax front and rear. The front locked up even though I was in 2wd, and the rear broke and made my truck a one wheel wonder. I had a mechanic re-gear and install the lockers, so its always possible that the install was done wrong.

If this isn't a daily driver, I'd recomend a mini-spool in the rear. Rear axle #2 got a mini spool and I loved it until I replaced the entire axle with a dana60/full spool.

I know I'm new here but I've been wheeling on the Rubicon for over a decade now. Hands down, the Aussie locker is king. When they're locked they're like a spool and unlocked they're just like an open diff, minus the slight clicking on occasion. And the best thing is that they actually lock when you need them and unlock when they're not needed. The only time they usually stay locked 100% of the time is on snow or ice, as there's not enough resistance to get them to unlock.

Back