Opinion on AWD vs. 4WD?

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
I am looking to purchase a 2009 or 2010 4th gen with a V8 engine. Generally, those are hard to find in good condition. Noticed that some in the higher trim (Limited or EB) come with AWD instead of the more common selectable 4WD. Oddly enough, this goes together with the fancy, low profile 20" wheels. I am not looking to do any serious off-roading, but need a vehicle that will reliably move on snow and mud. If anyone here has that option and/or cares to voice an opinion, it will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked at the 2009 brochure and they clearly mention 4Low and show an interior picture with the buttons. Are you looking at Mountaineers instead?

Also, I'm not a fan of big wheels with short sidewalls in slippery conditions. Sidewall flex is good in those conditions. Low profile tires are for dry pavement only.

I just looked at the 2009 brochure and they clearly mention 4Low and show an interior picture with the buttons. Are you looking at Mountaineers instead?
No. Just saw two V8 Explorers in Limited trim with AWD and 20" wheels. Found out that for some strange reasons they offered AWD with those funny low-profile wheels only.

Very few 4th gens have the AWD system with no buttons. Being that the switchable 4 Wheel Dr. drive system automatically engages the front axle at the slightest bit of slippage, I really don’t see much need for the truly full-time all-wheel-drive system. Plus I like having the option of the low range, even though after 12 years of ownership I have not used it once

That's interesting - hadn't heard of that. I guess they figure anyone buying an SUV with low profiles probably won't be going off road any. I know someone that recently bought a fairly current Tahoe that had aftermarket wheels on it and low profile tires. Wheels were probably in the 22 to 24 inch range. After a snow fall this winter he complained to me that even in 4WD his Tahoe was very disappointing in the snow. Maybe it's just the tires themselves but I've heard of this sort of complaint often. I assume the tire manufactures lean toward dry pavement performance with the low profile 'performance' tires compounds which doesn't help. And taking away the majority of the sidewall flex and things just keep getting worse. Of course, nothing to prevent you from slapping a 17 or 18 rim on it with new tires if it's a good vehicle.

Depends on how the AWD works. If it’s a viscous coupling, I’d take it any day over selectable 4wd that is actuated by an electro-magnetic clutch.

Back