• Register Today It's free!

P0741 again, please help

tlestan

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Mercury Mountaineer
Infamous P0741 and OD light flashing on 99 Mountaineer. 245k miles (I know, I know). Just changed fluid, filter, and TCC solenoid, and cleaned the VSS or whatever sensor it is in the pumpkin, which was new last year for an ABS light issue.

On the last live scan ride, it would not throw the code or overrev, and the pressures looked good. I couldn't make it do it. 20 minutes after leaving my buddies shop, it started again.

After tonight's work, went for a drive, and it popped up around 5 minutes in. Shut her off and started up again, and it drove great, no overrevving at all, no code. 20 minutes later the slip started again. It just seems electrical. Am I nuts, and what to try next?

How did the fluid look, before and after the change? And how did the pan look? Any minute shavings? Also we will need to know what engine & drive you have in your Mountaineer.

PS: You stated you think it is electrical...I am thinking hydraulic.

It sound hydraulic to me also, Torque Converter could be bad, valve body leakage from worn TC valve bores. TC solenoid, Torque Converter seals on the pump could be bad and last to much internal seal leakage. Every time you turn the engine off the computer resets, the codes remain, this is why it will drive normal again until the TC doesn't lock, then the OD light will flash. That sensor on the rear has nothing to do with the trans on a 99.
Trans fluid temperatures go very high when the TC is not locked especially when pulling a trailer.

Back