painting the whole truck with bed liner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

painting the whole truck with bed liner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gordhunt: you prove that I didn't know what I was talking about yet again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is alot of prep work involved when applying herculiner. If you don't do it right it'll peel off. When i pulled up the carpet i had to use a bernzo and take off a bunch of sound deadening material that was glued to the body. I then went out and bought a scotch bright pad with a handle on it and went to town roughing up the paint. I then cleaned it up with xylol (xylene). I recommend using xylol it seems to work the best and you're less likely to get peeling. I pulled out the carpet because i was tired of cleaning the mud out of it. Cleaning the interior is really easy. There is a body plug in each of the door channels and I pulled both of them out and park on my truck on a hill. I use a brush and some simple green to clean it up and it works really well. I just was it all out with a garden hose. The herculiner is one of the best things I've done to my truck. It does how ever make the interior a little bit louder but it definantly tolerable.

When you did the exterior, did you use the same method, or did you take it all the way to bare metal b4 applying the herc?
--ryan

man this sutt is realy popular but know i dont know what i will use know since the comentst on the ratelguard

Well here are some vehicles that have been Durabak'd and I think they are creative. It also comes in a textured or smooth finish in certain colors. There are some cool multi color paint jobs done with the Durabak.

Here is alink to see some of the vehicle creations. I tried to link them but alas NOT ABLE TO RIGHT CLICK IMAGES!!! DOH!!!!!!!

(dead link)

My opinion:

If you do it, get the smooth stuff... Especially if it's a daily driver. I keep seeing on old Chevy pickup in town covered with bumpy green bedliner, it looks like it's covered in grass... Makes me want to ram things...

I like the cow one. That's cool.

CarFreak146 said:
When you did the exterior, did you use the same method, or did you take it all the way to bare metal b4 applying the herc?
--ryan

You don't have to take it down to bare metal just scuff up the paint real good. Just remember the rougher you get the paint the better the herculiner will stick. It took me probably about 5 or 6 hours to scuff up the entire inside of the truck.

thanks doug, I was just asking b/c when I did my lower half of my rockers on the exterior, I scuffed up the paint with 600 grit sand paper, but now that I think about it, my mistake may have been that I wet sanded it. What grit did you use?

--Ryan

Just use a regular scotch bright pad, goto home depot or the like and goto the painting section and you'll find them there.

Holy dead-thread batman!! Probably would have been better off starting a new more recent thread. I haven't had direct contact with the stuff, but prepping the surface is crucial. It is just like paint that way.

This is what I'm thinking of using!

around the bottom.

(dead link)

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY,U.S.M.C., SEMPER FI...Brian

Semper Fi :salute:

Semper Fi,

:salute:Thanks for your service. BigRondo.

Back