Passenger blinker/brake light not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger blinker/brake light not working

TheAustinator

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE RESPONDING

2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4WD

The passenger rear brake light/blinker does not work. Lights up with running lights, so that eliminated the wire being burnt or disconnected. Does not light up with braking, does not light up for blinker, blinker is blinking fast and the front one works.

Things I've tried:
-Replaced the multifunction switch
-Fixed/replaced multifunction switch harness
-Replaced the bulb :/

Summary: Power is able to go through the wires to reach the bulb and light up the running lights. Multifunction switch is completley funtional, there's something inbetween that's stopping the signal for the braking light and blinker.

I don't have access to fancy programs like "alldata" to get wire diagrams, they would be appreciated. Any advice/tips would also be appreciated. Feel free to ask question, I wrote this in a rush so I might have missed a few things. THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most likely a broken ground wire (at bulb), measure for ground at the bulb connector

Turns out it was just a broken wire, a body shop replaced the bumper assembly on it a few months ago and it looks like they pinched a wire between two pieces, guess I thought it was just a clip attached to the bumper and skipped over it.

Wasted money on the harness, but from what I've seen it was going to go bad anyways.

Turns out it was just a broken wire, a body shop replaced the bumper assembly on it a few months ago and it looks like they pinched a wire between two pieces, guess I thought it was just a clip attached to the bumper and skipped over it.

Wasted money on the harness, but from what I've seen it was going to go bad anyways.

It's probably good you replaced your MFS harness. I had the same problem a couple years ago and it was a wire pulling out of the harness if I dropped the steering wheel down to far. It got worse so one day I used some electrical tape and wrapped the wire in question up and then pulled it back into the harness. No problems since.

It's probably good you replaced your MFS harness. I had the same problem a couple years ago and it was a wire pulling out of the harness if I dropped the steering wheel down to far. It got worse so one day I used some electrical tape and wrapped the wire in question up and then pulled it back into the harness. No problems since.

Yeah a read a lot about that problem on many explorers and the symptoms I was having were similiar. When I took a look at it, most of the wires were just falling out anyways. I glued them back into place but they still didn't work (before I found the pinched wire) so I figured I needed a new harness.

Back