Rear Left blinker and left brake light do not work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Left blinker and left brake light do not work

guppy1

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Exploder
2001 Ford Explorer

The rear left blinker and left brake light do not work

I removed the bulb and checked the connection with a meter. There is no 12volt present on the driver's side. The third brake light works and the passenger brake light and blinker works.

I know the brake light switch is the most likely candidate for a brake light, but that does not explain the blinker.

any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001 Ford Explorer

The rear left blinker and left brake light do not work

I removed the bulb and checked the connection with a meter. There is no 12volt present on the driver's side. The third brake light works and the passenger brake light and blinker works.

I know the brake light switch is the most likely candidate for a brake light, but that does not explain the blinker.

any ideas?
if the third brake light works, probably the right side works also. If this is the case, the brakelight switch is not at fault. you have a broken wire somewhere. If the vehicle is equipped with thw tow package, I would check near where the trailer socket is.

Also, you can pull the taillight out of the truck and check for broken wire behind the light sockets. Also check for broken ground wire.

IF you have a tilting column, try moving it up all the way. Could be a harness or wiring issue.

Also, you can pull the taillight out of the truck and check for broken wire behind the light sockets. Also check for broken ground wire.

Yup removed the bulb socket and checked for 12v ... nothing. I checked ohms from the left side brake lights ground to the right side brake lights ground and there is continuity, so I have a ground.

IF you have a tilting column, try moving it up all the way. Could be a harness or wiring issue.
What would the steering column have to do with a brake light?

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the brake lights. I need to check connectors.

PULL being the operative term if you're never removed a tail light (once you remove the two screws) and the brake light switch is not your problem. broken wire somewhere.

Holy cow, tilting the steering wheel up just fixed the problem for me! So there is some wire loose in the steering column or blinker switch? Which engineer is responsible for that boondoggle?

BTW 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with all the extras for sale in southern NH, all lights work (when steering wheel is tilted up anyway)...

Gotta love the explorerform. A steering column. Who woulda thought.

Back