Passenger seat rattle? :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger seat rattle? :(

j73m6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V8
There is a very annoying rattle that's either in or under the passenger seat. Of course it doesn't happen while the car is not moving, so do you have any ideas what it might be?

I have an '07 explorer with the leather seats.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try moving the seat all the way forward and all the way back. Look around the tracks under the seat and by the console. Might just be a wire harness connector or penny or something rattling against something. You got any mods that might be making resonance louder?

does it happen when someone is sitting on the seat, or only when its empty??

No mods. They are leather heated seats, do you think that has something to do with it?
I tried your suggestion, but I think it's something "in" the seat itself, because the rattle doesn't happen when someone is sitting on it.

I'd check the nuts holding the seat down first but you would probably notice the seat moving if it was that loose. you obviously have something that broke or came loose up in the seat its self or check the frame really good since pressure makes it go away. You might have to have someone drive while you hang upside down with a flashlight and listen/look for something moving to try and narrrow down exactly where its coming from. Or take it out and do a really good inspection on it.

This may sound unrelated to a seat rattle. Try cleaning and treating the rubber door seals, especially around the "B" pillar.
I gutted and took apart my interior for over two years chasing that rattle. Only takes minutes and should be done anyway.
Other possibilities may be a misaligned door striker, worn bushings, or something loose in the passenger door. Good luck.

Did the rattle start all of a sudden or has it always been there? When did it start? Do you have children riding in the back seat. I had a rattle in my Bronco. It turned out to be a golf ball that one of my children dropped in the seat and worked its way around. It took a while for me to find it.

the ocs track covers rattle.. remove the torx bolts, between seat bottom to base, remove the plastic covers, put felt on the inside, reassemble, noise will be gone.

Hey guys, I think I figured out something that can narrow it down, but I still can't figure out how to fix it:

The rattle is somewhere in the front left part of the seat. If I put pressure with my hand on the front left corner (like squeezing it tight), the rattle stops.

This doesn't happen all the time, usually it's much louder when I first start the car and drive it for the first few miles. Then, later on, it goes away. It almost feels like it has to do with heat, cold, temperature, etc...otherwise why would it be more pronounced at certain times?

I looked around there, I was basically hanging upside down trying to see, but I can't figure out what to do, short of ripping the leather seat cover off.

Any suggestions?

@waskly-- can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?

@waskly-- can you post some pictures of what you are talking about?

move the passenger seat all the way to the back, you will see two torq bolts,, on each rail, under it, is a cover for the ocs tracks. that cover rattles like a pos piece of plastic.

vqTwm

2e660s1.png

in that pic, the 62186 are covers, they god damn rattle.

There is a very annoying rattle that's either in or under the passenger seat. Of course it doesn't happen while the car is not moving, so do you have any ideas what it might be?

I have an '07 explorer with the leather seats.

Thanks

Sorry old tread, but i must ask.

Have ever fixed you Rattle noise? what it was?

Thanks.

Sorry old tread, but i must ask.

Have ever fixed you Rattle noise? what it was?

Thanks.

Before getting too deep into it, see if the rattle is coming from where the seat belt attaches near the side of the seat. I had to shim mine.

Yes is coming from there somewhere.

Next week will goback to service dept. at ford , so they can re-check the problem.

Thanks

Yes is coming from there somewhere.

Next week will goback to service dept. at ford , so they can re-check the problem.

Thanks

Mine was doing it drvr side and when there was slack in the belt. Took a long time to find.

Back